PDA

View Full Version : Need a quick lecture...Monti-cap

JammyBirch
01/19/2015, 09:57 PM
I'm out of the country right now, my wife is taking care of the tank. The tank had an event and result is my salinity has dropped to 1.022sg. She reported the the red cap is bleaching out. It has been in the tank for over a month and has been doing great, since this event it has bleached. I didn't think salinity would cause it to do that. The light is an LED and it has been acclimated and loving life until this piont. i had her add 10ml of 2 part just to give the calcium, alk and mag a bump hoping that it will help.

Any advice would be appreciated. Nothing will likely change until i get home next week so i want to act immediately. Water change for sure and parameter check as soon as i walk in the door.

SGT_York
01/19/2015, 10:27 PM
A sudden salinity drop will work all kinds of disasters. start adding salt to slowly bring it back up.

Coelli
01/19/2015, 11:13 PM
It may come back; I have a monti cap I got as a frag about 1" x 3/4" at the end of September. It had some bleached spots where it was touched when it was broken off the colony by hand, but they regained color. It's about 3" in diameter now and when I moved it to my new tank a couple of weeks ago it lost color and turned white in several spots from the stress but has already started to regain color in those areas. Montis are very hardy; get your tank stable again and I bet it will recover, if it was not actually killed. :)

ECreefer
01/20/2015, 12:55 AM
Add saltwater for your top off and slowly let it come back to 1.026 or so. Salinity can be one of the many things that can stress a coral out, especially if it drops quickly.

CoralNerd
01/20/2015, 01:11 AM
I would do a water change.

ECreefer
01/20/2015, 01:33 AM
Maybe sure to not do a big water change though, going from .022-.026 in a matter of a few minutes could kill the coral.

JammyBirch
01/20/2015, 05:55 PM
I'll step it up but i'm not going to be home until next week. I talked to my wife last night, she says it's not white it's just faded, so it's more of a pink color.

I hope it's ok, the frag is small but was really nice, the biggest problem is my wife fells terrible about it... i hope it works out..

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Coelli
01/20/2015, 05:56 PM
I talked to my wife last night, she says it's not white it's just faded, so it's more of a pink color.

That's a good sign; I am sure it will come back. :)

JammyBirch
01/20/2015, 09:47 PM
That's a good sign; I am sure it will come back. :)

Well that makes me feel better, thanks. I just hope it can make it another 6 days.

droog
01/20/2015, 10:04 PM
add saltwater for your top off and slowly let it come back to 1.026 or so. Salinity can be one of the many things that can stress a coral out, especially if it drops quickly.

+1

JammyBirch
01/30/2015, 09:01 AM
Ok so I'm back home, did a water change salinity is 1.023 right now. The water parameters are right on.

Am 0
No3 0
No4 0
Cal 415
Alk 9
Ph 8.2

The cap looks really bleached, but still pink. I can see polyps,I think, all over it still. It has actually grown since I left, the bottom of the cap is now attached to the rock instead of just the frag rock I bought it on.

I hope this thing comes back. I also added salt to the ATO as recommended.this is bizarre to me, I don't get it. I've read of others having this issue but there was no definitive fix or cause... I thought it may be the light but it's in 10" of water and the light is running at a very low setting, 8" off the surface of the water.