PDA

View Full Version : Bio Filter Media - Marine Pure Spheres

moneymm
01/21/2015, 02:00 PM
Bio Filter Media - Marine Pure Spheres

I want to put these in my sump for future QT needs.

Can i just rinse them and toss them in a nylon bag in my sump or do they need to cure like dry rock would?

alexgv14
01/21/2015, 02:19 PM
You can do that. But the biofilter likes to have more of a trickle flow go over it where it is a mixture of air and water. Take a look at this pic for an explanation.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/Trickle_Filter.svg/220px-Trickle_Filter.svg.png

moneymm
01/21/2015, 02:26 PM
You can do that. But the biofilter likes to have more of a trickle flow go over it where it is a mixture of air and water. Take a look at this pic for an explanation.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/Trickle_Filter.svg/220px-Trickle_Filter.svg.png

so how would i accomplish that.

cloak
01/21/2015, 02:57 PM
You don't have to use these in a wet/dry application. There basically no different than a piece of live rock. Running them under a drip plate would only complicate things more IMO.

moneymm
01/21/2015, 03:11 PM
You don't have to use these in a wet/dry application. There basically no different than a piece of live rock. Running them under a drip plate would only complicate things more IMO.

ok, in the mean time, am i okay with putting them in the sump tank today, or do i need to let them cure in a bucket for a few weeks?

cloak
01/21/2015, 03:28 PM
You can throw them in your sump today. No problem.

ca1ore
01/21/2015, 03:35 PM
Bio Filter Media - Marine Pure Spheres

I want to put these in my sump for future QT needs.

Can i just rinse them and toss them in a nylon bag in my sump or do they need to cure like dry rock would?

I use these as well, and for the same purpose. Keeping them in a nylon bag in the sump has always worked just fine for me. I do also keep a stash of them in a TLF 550 rector, but I don't think they are any more 'inoculated' than the ones in the bag.

moneymm
01/21/2015, 03:36 PM
I use these as well, and for the same purpose. Keeping them in a nylon bag in the sump has always worked just fine for me. I do also keep a stash of them in a TLF 550 rector, but I don't think they are any more 'inoculated' than the ones in the bag.

Do I need to cure them or can I just put them right in the sump tank?

Goldndoodle
01/21/2015, 03:38 PM
That's interesting ...

How are you going to use them in your QT?

As part of a HOB? Or just put a few of them on the bottom of the QT?

moneymm
01/21/2015, 04:04 PM
You can throw them in your sump today. No problem.

thanks.

alexgv14
01/22/2015, 11:11 AM
I would recommend putting them in your sump in a highflow area