PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser reactor and water source plus pumps

Titobattilocchi
01/21/2015, 06:47 PM
I'm going to put a ro holding tank out side since that is the only place to put it on my big system of 300 DT. I was thinking about a deliver pump to feed the ro water to my reactor but it pumps to much water at 2 1/2 gallons a min. Some one was telling me that I could use a low flow booster pump and pump 2liters a min a few times a day. I was also thinking about using a dosing pump but I have heard the heads and the tubing wear out frequently. There will be no other stuff in holding tank but ro water that will be delivered to kalkwasser reactor. Holding tank Water line will be about 10 to 12 feet. Could use some help to make right decision. Not sure about dosing pump since I don't know if it's going to mix up my kalk good enough.

Titobattilocchi
01/22/2015, 04:11 PM
Kalk reactor is a Reefdynamics

b7fig
01/22/2015, 04:21 PM
I use a stand alone Litermeter III dosing pump and it works great. Very silent and pumps 250 ml a minute. Perfect for my K1 kalk stirrer. Dosing pumps won't back flow and have the correct flow. Dumping water to fast into the stirrer can really mess things up. The litermeter is guaranteed for 5 years.

Titobattilocchi
01/22/2015, 04:23 PM
The only problem I have is that I use up 4 gallons of top off water a day,so I'm not sure how fast a dosing pump is going to where out.

Sinekal
01/22/2015, 06:59 PM
The reactor is keeping your Kalk stirred, so don't worry about that. In fact I find slower flow through the reactor is better.

I would go dosing pump. I'm using the avast pump for a similar set up and it works well for me. If you are concerned about longevity there are pumps built for continuous use (cole parmer comes to mind first). They cost more, but used are not quite as bad and they are workhorses.