PDA

View Full Version : Getting closer to custom build tank and have questions

wheelman1976
01/21/2015, 09:29 PM
I am getting closer to building a 180-250 gallon size tank to give my fish some room to grow. My question is what should I be looking at for sump size? I'd like to have a refugium area and wondering if I need other areas for future add on equipment, etc. Can anyone give some advice? My intent is for this to be my last tank due to space constraints so I want to do it right one time.

jjk_reef00
01/22/2015, 02:35 AM
Build the tank as big as you possibly can :)
As for sump it depends on how much room you have (assuming the sump will go inside the stand).
Skimmer space is number 1 priority. Reactors can be added later if necessary. Make sure you have plenty of space to get into your sump to clean and possibly remove the skimmer if necessary. Another thing to consider is filter socks on your return (I recommend) and ATO if you want one. I don't have ATO on my tank and my salinity slowly creeps higher until I do a water change to bring it back down.
Overflow look into bean animal.

Dmorty217
01/22/2015, 09:58 AM
^This. Bigger is always better for a sump in that you can have a larger refugium and also room for more in sump equipment

wheelman1976
01/22/2015, 06:39 PM
This sump will be in a back room area so space isn't an issue. I'm just looking for dimension ideas and spacing for the walls that are inside. I want to build it so that i can buy a more popular refugium's foam blocks and filter socks for ease of replacement items.

Dmorty217
01/22/2015, 07:26 PM
I would lean toward the 250g mark. You will always wish you went bigger so build as big as you can