PDA

View Full Version : Silicate and diatom

DamonG
01/22/2015, 07:28 PM
This is for the advanced and chemical people.. I have had pretty much always a battle with diatoms. I think it is something with the local water, but I'm not sure, since I have always battled it. I tested my water today and it's showing:

Nitrate-0.0
Phosphate-.024

The issue I am having is diatom. I Ann trying to remember, but isn't it the different membrane rejection such as a filmtec versus the other, that will determine how much, say silicate goes through? I know there are highS dionization carts and I'm running that type of resin, but my ro unit runs fast(produces much more water) abd I'm wondering if this is pat of the problem. Wondering if I replaced with a filmtec, if the rejection would filter some of these things better and more effectively? Or is there another solution that I'm missing?

Thanks much!

DamonG
01/22/2015, 09:22 PM
Actually, I'm going to try gfo. After reading some of Randy and other articles. I was going there would be a stand alone solution, but at least from what I read, there is not.

I also see that I am not alone with this issue after doing a bit of research. And I think part of the problem is that I'm using a smaller ro/di system and because of this, I'm both, unable to use the filters and media sizes I previously was.