PDA

View Full Version : First Time With Saltwater Tank

Jgrech
01/23/2015, 10:20 AM
I have had several fresh water aquariums, including several chiclid tanks, so I have a fairly decent amount of experience with fish tanks. However, I now want to make the jump to saltwater. I have done some research and there seems to be so much out there. So here is where I am leaning at this point. I want to do a 30-70 gallon reef aquarium with some fish.

Im thinking about doing a Red Sea C 250 as I liek the closed lid look. However, I am worried the noise of the cooling fans may be excessive. (I also read that the E series should be out soon, but Im worried about the open top? Are LED's that much better than the T5's? Would i lose fish and hermit crabs with the open top? Also, the E series would be pre-plumbed for bottom plumbing and refugium, if that is needed?)
I was wondering if the standard Red Sea C 250 would come equipped with sufficient pumps, filtration and lighting to sustain a reef tank with fish? Would I need to make any upgrades?

I was planning on putting about 60-70 pounds of live rock in the tank. (although im debating using 40-50 pounds of dead rock and 20-30 pounds of live to save on costs??? Should I just go all live? And should I handpick the live rock at my local LFS or buy from live aquatics?)

I am planning a 2-3 inch deep bed of live sand. I want to have corals, but im not sure what kinds the stock c250 would be good for with the lighting and water flow?

I also want some fish in the tank. Nothing too big, but Im not sure how many I would eventually be able to have.

I am planning on adding the live rock and sand and letting the tank filter for 3-4 weeks, then maybe adding a cleaner crew and a few weeks later a fish or two? All of the above will depend on my water readings.

Any help and advice at this point would be greatly appreciated. I am not in a rush and realize this is on hobby that requires patience.

soulpatch
01/23/2015, 10:32 AM
I did the same switch couple weeks ago. I went with a biocube as I figure I will be taking my 125 planted tank down within months when I need more room. The cube for me was small enough that it will be a frag tank down the line.

Best advice is to test test test and take your time. Also get the best equipment you can as buying twice sucks...

3dees
01/23/2015, 12:12 PM
I like the look of the Red Sea but to me they are too expensive. I would rather build my own. get the 75 or better yet the 90. they both take up the same amount of room. I only have room for a four foot tank and went with a 120. a sump is best. more water and a place to hide the skimmer and heater. I have severs back problems so I went sumpless. I have softies and a few lps and do not dose anything. over a year and a half and so far everything is good. I came from years of fw and like you wanted to try sw. it's not all that different from fw. my tank is actually much easier that the wild discus I was keeping. just research everything you plan on putting in the tank and take your time. ask questions here and when your ready for livestock, set up a qt.