PDA

View Full Version : New Skimmer Selection Help

alf1096
01/23/2015, 10:21 AM
I have a 125 gal display and a 30 gal sump. I upgraded to this tank approx. 6 months ago and have just been running my old eshopps psk-100 which is undersized. I am looking to upgrade my skimmer. My considerations are quality, quiet and power consumption in that order. A DC pump would be nice so I could kill the skimmer and return at the push of a button (no controller) but no a must. I have an open sump so any size is good. I have been looking at reef octopus and skimz. I am open to all suggestions but would like to stay around 400 bucks but would go a little higher if needed.

thanks

goldslinger
01/23/2015, 08:04 PM
I hate My Skimz Monster E 121! The skimmer itself is fine, but the stupid ES2000 pump They put into is UNRELIABLE for start up. I ordered a new pump; does the same thing. 99 times out of 100, it starts up, but I need 100% cause the Apex will feed and shut things off When I'm gone and I don't want to burn a pump up not knowing it isn't running, but just growling trying to start. From what I've read, it is a flaw in the needle impeller design. The built in slip clutch sticks. The Vendor says I'm the only One Whom has complained, but I've read other threads with the 2000 series pump with the same problem. I need to be able to shut it off 2x a day for feedings as the flooded sump causes overflow in the skimmer. The Vender says no-one ever shuts theirs off; I think He's full of it.

alf1096
01/23/2015, 08:07 PM
If I went with skimz I am looking at the dc versions.

cnewsome
01/23/2015, 08:21 PM
I like the aquamaxx em200. Works great on my 100 with 30 gal sump, mainly sps