PDA

View Full Version : Test kit recommendations .

Pistolpete122
01/24/2015, 02:12 PM
What up reefers. So I am new to saltwater world. My tank running for 6 months I have plenty of live stock for a while . I was only testing salinity , nitrate , nitrite, ph , ammonia. All levels are great now for months. I'm looking to buy a new test kit. I want a big variety of testing like masters kit to test magnisium and other things that I never tested. Also I want to buy a salinity refractor. I want a good quality for most accurate readings on everything mentioned. Looking to buy a kit once not trying to give a chance on different brands. Ok lmk. All inquires and advice given is very much appreciated.

hkgar
01/24/2015, 02:37 PM
Not sure what you are looking for but here are my favorite kits by test
Nitrate Red Sea Pro
Phosphate Hanna Phosphorus Checker
PH Salifert (actually use a probe with my Apex controller)
Unless you are also testing for Calcium )Salifert) and Alkalinity Hanna Alkalinity Checker) you don't really need to test Mag (Slifert),

Ca, Alk and Mag are usually needed in a LPS or SPS tank

Salinity:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_Depot_Aquarium_Pro_Refractometer_Aquarium_Refractometers-Marine_Depot-MD2103-FITEOPRF-vi.html

b7fig
01/24/2015, 03:50 PM
I like the Hanna colormeter for phosphate and alk. And salifert for the rest.. I've tried most brands throughout the years.

bertoni
01/24/2015, 05:39 PM
I'd probably start testing alkalinity and calcium. For the, the Salifert and IO kits were fine, although the IO calcium kit was a bit slow to return a reading. Along with the refractometer, I'd spring for a calibration solution like the PinPoint 53 mS/cm<sup>2</sup>. It should measure 1.0264 SG on the refractometer. Other calibration solutions might not be appropriate, so I'd do some checking before buying one.

If the tank is doing well enough, I probably wouldn't spend any more money on testing equipment. Are there any problems showing up?

Pistolpete122
01/24/2015, 07:01 PM
I'd probably start testing alkalinity and calcium. For the, the Salifert and IO kits were fine, although the IO calcium kit was a bit slow to return a reading. Along with the refractometer, I'd spring for a calibration solution like the PinPoint 53 mS/cm<sup>2</sup>. It should measure 1.0264 SG on the refractometer. Other calibration solutions might not be appropriate, so I'd do some checking before buying one.

If the tank is doing well enough, I probably wouldn't spend any more money on testing equipment. Are there any problems showing up?

The tank is doing well. It's a 55 gallon I have two ocsolarious, yellow tang,sailfintang ,sand gobey, b ..wrasse and three damsels .I have a total of 12 frags Ill say. So only issues are a candy cane frag one head is crusting Or Harding and another coral idk name. But it don't look right to me. Is there a brand for a salinity refractor ?

bertoni
01/24/2015, 07:33 PM
I haven't looked at refractometers in a long time. I got mine from an online vendor many years ago, but I switched to a conductivity meter. I can't recommend any brand of refractometer.

I might try testing the phosphate level because of the problem with the stony coral, and work from there.

Pistolpete122
01/24/2015, 07:57 PM
I haven't looked at refractometers in a long time. I got mine from an online vendor many years ago, but I switched to a conductivity meter. I can't recommend any brand of refractometer.

I might try testing the phosphate level because of the problem with the stony coral, and work from there.

So you think I should opt out of a test kit? What tests are important for coral. You mentioned phosphate. What is a conductivity Meter for?

Pistolpete122
01/24/2015, 08:10 PM
I seen this kit
Salifert Alkalinity Calcium Magnesium Combo Test Kit
And then I'll get a phosphate also? Wyt

AugustWest
01/24/2015, 08:26 PM
Salifert for Alk,Calcium and Magnesium. hanna ULR for PO4.

I highly recommend the Milwaukee Digital Refractometer. Very accurate and way easier to read than my old Refractometer.

bertoni
01/24/2015, 11:11 PM
The conductivity meter is for checking the SG.

Other than phosphate, nitrate might be an issue. What is the current tank measurement?

Pistolpete122
01/25/2015, 02:21 PM
The conductivity meter is for checking the SG.

Other than phosphate, nitrate might be an issue. What is the current tank measurement?

Nitrite 0 nitrate 0

bertoni
01/25/2015, 11:31 PM
Well, those levels should be fine. :) I'd get the other numbers I mentioned, and work from there.

JPMagyar
05/20/2015, 07:34 AM
From a much older threader this kit was recommended as the best available for our hobby.

Hach NI-14 (http://www.hach.com/nitrogen-nitrate-color-disc-test-kit-model-ni-14/product?id=7640220990)

Does anyone know if this is true, and does anyone have experience with this kit.

Assuming one is striving for 0.0 to 0.2 ppm Nitrate (NO3-) then this kit seems to be the only option. True?

bertoni
05/20/2015, 08:04 PM
Hach makes very nice kits, but I haven't used that one. I think it should be fine, although it might be more pricey than the average hobbyist kit.