PDA

View Full Version : Run kalk through reactors?

All Seas
01/24/2015, 08:48 PM
I currently have my reactors T'd off my return line and recirculate back to the skimmer section. When I start dosing kalk via my ato, should I reconfigure my setup so the kalk does not pass through the reactors and skimmer section?

Or is the kalk ok to go through the reactors?

Stackemdeep
01/24/2015, 09:25 PM
I currently have my reactors T'd off my return line and recirculate back to the skimmer section. When I start dosing kalk via my ato, should I reconfigure my setup so the kalk does not pass through the reactors and skimmer section?

Or is the kalk ok to go through the reactors?

If you are coming from your ATO then go right into the "return" section of your sump where it will mix a bit and then go directly to the tank. I would not send any Kalk through the reactors or skimmer section.

bertoni
01/24/2015, 11:17 PM
I would dose the Kalk into the largest volume of water available, which usually is the display. A large refugium would be okay, too. GFO, in particular, tends to cause calcium carbonate precipitation, so Kalk going through that would be the highest risk.

DiscusHeckel
01/25/2015, 08:57 AM
I would dose the Kalk into the largest volume of water available, which usually is the display. A large refugium would be okay, too. GFO, in particular, tends to cause calcium carbonate precipitation, so Kalk going through that would be the highest risk.

This is exactly what I do. I have a GFO fluidised reactor in the return section of my sump and thus avoid dripping kalk into my sump. FWIW, I drip-feed kalk manually using a DIY dripper.

dkeller_nc
01/25/2015, 09:04 AM

^+1 to this strategy. Depending on the flow rate of your ATO, it's possible to cause major precipitation on your return pump's impeller and rotor housing. Specifically, if the flowrate from the ATO is high, the concentration of kalkwasser in the return section can get high enough for the pump's frictional heating to cause calcium carbonate precipitation.

I experienced this exact scenario. In my case, I've a Tunze Universal Osmolator that allowed my to drastically lower the make-up pump's flowrate. But changing the input point directly to the display would've been preferable if it had been possible with my set-up.

Stackemdeep
01/25/2015, 11:35 AM
A good point above. I have a very slow rate of flow so this indeed may be an issue for some. My ato engages frequently but with low flow so only a small amount goes into that section. I have not had any issue with excess precipitation on my pump. Also if your tank, like mine, is an sps tank then dosing pockets of Kalk with high flow directly into the DT is not the best plan.

All Seas
01/25/2015, 11:41 AM
I have a tunze ato as well

So my new plan is get another pump to run the reactors and have the return pump be dedicated to run the display only. I will have the kalk saturated water to directly into the return section along with the reactor outputs to ensure there is good water mixture and the best possible water makes it to the display tank. Sound like a plan?