PDA

View Full Version : How do you gut load Brine shrimp?

Palting
01/25/2015, 01:07 PM
I figure this is the right forum, as this is about feeding a fish.

I have a copperband. He actively hunts and pecks at rocks, but I am afraid that someday he will run out of rock critters t eat. Have just read through VJV's thread on Copperband help, and got some pointers. Anyway, my copperband will not eat prepared/frozen food, not even frozen Mysis nor clam, but it will eat live brine shrimp. So, I am thinking of getting those brine shrimp breeding contraptions and culture brine shrimp. I understand they have to be gut loaded to be of any nutritional value. So, does anyone know how to gut load brine shrimp?

Thanks!

ca1ore
01/25/2015, 01:51 PM
I'm tempted to say 'very carefully' as answer to your question, though I understand that would be completely unhelpful. When I tried my hand a at breeding Artemia, I fed them with some of that powdered food that was specifically meant for brine. Unfortunately that was many, many years ago. Friend of mine keeps his copperband well fed on black worms - are those available at your LFS?

Palting
01/25/2015, 02:49 PM
They have frozen blackworms, which I haven't tried. I'll get a pack and try that.

aquaph8
01/25/2015, 03:37 PM
Gut loading pretty much means feeding them. Brine shrimp alone dont really have a lot of nutritional value but the contents of their stomach can. I believe this usually refers to using phytoplankton as a source of nutrients in the shrimps stomach but Im sure theres some commercially available non-live substitutes that can be used also.

andy01748
01/25/2015, 03:54 PM
From what I have read brine shrimp have nutritional value for the first 24 hours after they hatch while they still have their yolk sac. I have added selcon to the water after they hatched and the cloudiness from the selcon did disappear, so I assume the brine shrimp did absorb it, increasing the nutritious value.

aquaph8
01/25/2015, 04:03 PM
Thats right newly hatched brine does have a higher nutritional value due to their yolk sac.

Palting
01/25/2015, 05:40 PM
Thanks, all. I think the breeder contraption my LFS sells allows the newly hatched shrimp to fall and separate from the cyst/eggs. I'll jury rig it so the hatchlings fall into the tank, then.

aquaph8
01/25/2015, 07:56 PM
You can buy eggs decapsulated already or use bleach ( I can't remember all the details but I'm sure a google search will), that way no messing with shell casings.

Palting
01/26/2015, 01:48 PM
Here's what I found at the LFS. It was gathering dust LOL! The brine shrimp hatchlings go directly into the tank, hopefully with their egg yolk and nutritional value still intact. Got frozen blood worms, too, so will see if I can fatten up that copperband.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=9716&pictureid=68063