PDA

View Full Version : Battery Heater?

Fishguy603
01/26/2015, 05:29 PM
Is there any heater that runs off of batteries to keep the fish warm if power dies? I live in NE and we are almost guaranteed to lose power?

ExpensiveHobby
01/26/2015, 05:35 PM
i just thinking about this I'm in Baltimore only getting a couple inches but was thinking all I really need is a battery powered heater and battery powered powerhead

Tarawa
01/26/2015, 05:40 PM
I built a battery backup system using a 1000w pure sinewave inverter, a 115amp hour deep cycle battery, and charger, used a relay to hook it all up, so when the power dumps the battery willpick up the load, probably around a 1 sec delay, and it'll run my skimmer, main pump, heater, and stream pumps. Tested it and runs for 6 hours, will do more, but didnt want to drain the battery too far.

a bit pricey to set up, but the piece of mind it offers is very nice.

Fishguy603
01/26/2015, 05:44 PM
Im in Boston, but all I need is heat because it's a 20 gallon. Nothing will struggle without a power head for a day

Fishguy603
01/26/2015, 05:45 PM
If there isn't one someone make it haha. Something that runs off 9v

woodnaquanut
01/26/2015, 05:49 PM
It would take a BIG battery! This isn't 'AA' battery territory.

How big is your current heater?

For short term outages and if you living situation allows it, there are inverters you can hook up to your car. They produce AC. I think the one I have can do 1000 watts. Cost about $50.

Circulation is more important that temperature. There are battery operated air pumps. That and blankets can get you thru.

For any long term outage (+12 hrs or so) you really need a generator. Probably a really bad time to get one in NE now. :(

Good luck.

woodnaquanut
01/26/2015, 05:52 PM
Im in Boston, but all I need is heat because it's a 20 gallon. Nothing will struggle without a power head for a day

Sorry, it's just the opposite. Without flow things die quick.

wolfblue
01/26/2015, 07:23 PM
Sorry, it's just the opposite. Without flow things die quick.

That's right. A battery powered air stone or two should be enough. But as far as battery powered heat goes, a 250 watt heater is only 2 amps at 120 volts. Its 20 amps at 12 volts.

When the house temp falls and you can do nothing about that- wrap the whole aquarium cabinet with blankets or layers of blue jeans or whatever. Stuff pillows between the wall and the tank. Try to keep the heat that is already in the water from leaving. And do it soon, the lower the air temp the faster the heat in the water will move to the air.

Marchillo
01/27/2015, 05:27 AM
If you have the ability to grab a small generator Id suggest doing that. I picked up one for $400 this week bc I live in NE as well. So if power goes out I'll hook my surge protector into the generator. For that price it comes in handy for other stuff. Fridge, phone charger etc.

Just follow all safety instructions. Don't run it in the garage or basement. Always outside 10 feet from the house.