PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Dying welso

mario420
01/26/2015, 06:46 PM
Good evening all,

This Welso has been in my possession for about 1 1/2 years.

I know this issue started over the summer when my tank maintenance was a bit lacking. The only corals I had trouble with was this welso and my scoly. Currently the scoly is eating daily and getting meaty again. Tank parameters are back to normal.

I've have been reading a lot on the coral rescue page on what to do in order to try and save this coral. Unfortunately it keeps getting worse daily.

Currently I have the coral pulled out of the sand to keep the crabs away from picking at it and stealing food. Also am dosing my tank with LPS amino acid concentrate. Trying to feed the coral Fauna marin Lps pellets for about 2 months now. The skin keeps recessing. There are still 3 mouths left on the coral at this time only one of them is taking food.

The coral is in a medium flow area right now.
Tank is 93G Cube
Dose BRS 2 part to keep ALK and CA stable
Hydra 52 lighting

Help is very much appreciated

mario420
01/26/2015, 06:54 PM
I forgot to mention that I dipped this coral in Coral RX 3 weeks ago to try and kill any possible parasites.

ReefCowboy
01/27/2015, 12:12 PM
I forgot to mention that I dipped this coral in Coral RX 3 weeks ago to try and kill any possible parasites.

Looks like a bacterial disease took it...correct me if I'm wrong but isn't coral RX the same kind of dip as TLF's Revive?

I was under the impression RX and Revive are better to rid pests while Iodine dips are better for bacterial infections?
Fleshy corals go fast when bacterial infections come in...that is unfortunate, your coral seems to be a bit past the point IMO.
I would dip it again and try feeding it?

mario420
01/27/2015, 02:58 PM
I appreciate the reply I will dip in lugols tonight. Should I be concerned with my other softies as far as contagiousness? Should I dip them also even if there is no visual signs at this time?

ReefCowboy
01/27/2015, 05:12 PM
I appreciate the reply I will dip in lugols tonight. Should I be concerned with my other softies as far as contagiousness? Should I dip them also even if there is no visual signs at this time?

I don't think so, I would check the others to be sure you catch anything from the start. I've had a brain coral have the same problem, 6 months later a bubble coral which I dipped and that was it...we can't keep our tanks as clean as we think they are. bacteria is everywhere. Sometimes something bothers them such as an animal picking on them...but diping it now in iodine could help!!

mario420
01/27/2015, 06:11 PM
Excellent I just did the dip. Should it be one dip and done or should I dip again later this week?

ReefCowboy
01/27/2015, 10:28 PM
Excellent I just did the dip. Should it be one dip and done or should I dip again later this week?

The dip should have cleaned it from the infection, and will allow the coral to heal without the bacteria getting on the way.
If you notice there are new infections starting, dip it again.
Keep an eye on it and try feeding it to get it to recover faster. Post the process so we can follow along. Good luck!