PDA

View Full Version : newbie mistakes or too confident!!!

machodik
01/26/2015, 09:51 PM
Dear All,

I have dose my QT (40 LITERS WATER VOLUME) last night with 1 gms. baking soda (7.30 dkh to raise to 8.20 dkh) due to the KH level then is 7.3 dkh. this morning, I have rechecked the KH and found out it is 7.60 dkh, so it means last night there is a consumption of 0.60 dkh , so , I make a mistakes, again, I added without calculation and weighing some Baking soda mix in RO water and later after about 30 mins or so, I checked the KH it went to 13.4 dkh (all exam by Salifert), so I decided to make 20% water change and then the KH goes down to 8.2 dkh.

Now my quesitons, will this sudden raise of KH will cause STN to my SPS in the QT? WORRIES, HOPE YOU ADVISE.

Cheers,

MD

disc1
01/26/2015, 11:33 PM
I think you are having trouble with your alkalinity kit. Those numbers don't make any sense. There must be a mistake somewhere.

machodik
01/27/2015, 02:38 AM
I think you are having trouble with your alkalinity kit. Those numbers don't make any sense. There must be a mistake somewhere.

Thanks David,

I also guess something wrong with my kits since if I got 13.4 dkh then at least I need to add 7 grms of baking soda but this morning my rough calculations should not even beyond more than a gram or 2. anyway, I just hope nothing will be affecting my corals in this very short period of spike (just in case it is true), will it be STNed later on in the next coming few days?

cheers,

MD

Mark9
01/27/2015, 07:18 AM
You have a 10g qt, why bother dosing?
Just do a water change.

tmz
01/27/2015, 08:17 AM
SPS troubles following a swing in alk do happen; more so with drops at the low end of the range. I'm very picky about it . In those that I've seen with stn following a swing it usually shows up within a few days.

machodik
01/27/2015, 09:05 PM
I dont know why I come up with a 13.4 dkh yesterday morning, it does not makes sense as i have a 10g QT and even I did not weight the Baking soda powder before adding but for sure it is no more than 1 gms. even with 2 grams at most, it should not rise from 7.3 dkh to 13.4 dkh. furthermore, because based on the calculator, it needs around 7.3 gms for my water volume to raise the 7.3 to 13.4.

By the way, a swing of the KH will be between what range? say more than 1 dkh at once or less?

cheers,

MD