PDA

View Full Version : Clown soapfish

Dmorty217
01/27/2015, 04:48 PM
Just looking for any info or first hand experience with this fish? Also known as a clown grouper. I know they can release toxins. I'm looking at getting a 3" one.

davidfrances
01/27/2015, 07:19 PM
I had several back when I lived in Ohio in the 90's. Very cool fish. I unfortunately killed the first one by feeding him too many goldfish. He did not release toxins in my tank when he died.

I had several more over the years, but my job moved me around a lot and I would usually sell them when I moved. Cool fish, but you need a big tank. A 625G would work.

I am no longer into big predators, but would definitely get another one if I were. After my first mistake, I fed the rest smelt, squid and pellet food, and they did very well (and grew very fast)

Dmorty217
01/27/2015, 07:56 PM
I had several back when I lived in Ohio in the 90's. Very cool fish. I unfortunately killed the first one by feeding him too many goldfish. He did not release toxins in my tank when he died.

I had several more over the years, but my job moved me around a lot and I would usually sell them when I moved. Cool fish, but you need a big tank. A 625G would work.

I am no longer into big predators, but would definitely get another one if I were. After my first mistake, I fed the rest smelt, squid and pellet food, and they did very well (and grew very fast)

How large did the largest one you have get? I read anywhere from 8-14"

davidfrances
01/27/2015, 08:00 PM
8-10" was the largest. They grow fast, mine doubled in size in a year.

Dmorty217
01/27/2015, 08:33 PM
10" is no problem. I plan on housing a Eppaulette and some other shark friendly tankmates with it. Thanks for the reply, not a lot of takers with this one

anbosu
01/28/2015, 11:18 AM
They are really cool fish, someone I work with had one for a while, and they loved it.

Coralfreak09
01/28/2015, 11:21 AM
We have one, Its best to feed it large pieces of salt water fish, As far as Toxins... not to bad, in a small system I can say it would effect its tankmates. They are cool fish, handle with care, dont put any other things that may even possibly be small enough for it to consider a meal. Ive seen a 14" one try to eat a flag tail, swim around for a few hours and eventually spit it back out.

Dmorty217
01/28/2015, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. Was the fish bought at 14" or did it grow to that size? The only fish it could try and eat would be my melanarus wrasse that I was never able to catch months ago so no love lost if/when he becomes a meal. They are like all groupers in the eating smaller fish aspect