PDA

View Full Version : Cross bracing and lighting

toddmau5
01/27/2015, 08:51 PM
Hopefully this is the right section. Struggling to fill in some spots in my tank with light. Under the cross braces the corals aren't getting what they want and it's effecting colors. My first plan of attack was to run two stunners under the cross braces to help give some filler light. Then I realized the cross braces are about 0.5" from the water and this just seemed dangerous. So then I got to thinking. What if I built some custom strips and drilled 5/16" holes or so for the tip of the led to shine through and place the strips on top of the crossbrace. I know tinkering with cross braces can get Harry so I was wondering if drilling holes down the center equally spaced will still allow enough of the integrity of the braces for them to do their job or if this was a bad idea as well?

ChrisKirkland
01/27/2015, 09:04 PM
You could find water proof LED strips to help with the color. I personally would not mess with cross braces especially in larger tanks. Doing this will also void the warranty.

toddmau5
01/27/2015, 09:05 PM
I've found a few waterproof strips but they are either white, or blue or don't have enough output. The stunners were interesting because it was 12k and blue LEDs. But I don't think I trust placing them in the water