PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer going crazy after water change.

izzyish
01/27/2015, 09:08 PM
I finally got my Alk and Ca where I want it. I had to do my weekly water change today but before I did I wanted to make sure the parameters in the new mixed saltwater matched the parameters in the tank. I've never done this, I've always just done the water changes without testing. Well, Ca was low...it was reading at 370 ppm and I needed it at 420 ppm. I figured I could dose my 2 part calcium solution from BRS. I used their calculator and it suggested I dose 100 ml's in my 20 gallons of new mixed water. I waited a little over an hour to do the water change, I wanted the calcium to mix in there well. After the water change was done, I turned my skimmer on and it started to overflow. Could you guys tell me what I did wrong? Should I not be adding Ca to my freshly mixed saltwater? Thanks!

A sea K
01/28/2015, 05:56 AM
Just to clarify, you only added the calcium part of your 2-part correct? Otherwise you did nothing wrong, it is a very common practice to dose freshly mixed water to match your tanks current parameters. Some salts will require a longer mixing time than 1 hour, read the label just to be sure but I would think 1 hour to be acceptable in most cases.

As for the skimmer overflowing, it is fairly common for a skimmer to go haywire after a W/C, at least IME. Best thing to do is simply shutdown the skimmer for an hour or 2 after your W/C and that should cure the overflow problem.

cakemanPA
01/28/2015, 06:18 AM
The other possibility to check is did the water level go up a bit where your skimmer sits? It does not take much to make a difference.

Spyderturbo007
01/28/2015, 09:22 AM
Do you run filter socks? If so, did you happen to change them at the same time? Skimmers always seem to go crazy after a filter sock change.

Changes in water level can also have the same effect on a skimmer as cakemanPA pointed out.

izzyish
01/28/2015, 11:34 AM
Just to clarify, you only added the calcium part of your 2-part correct? Otherwise you did nothing wrong, it is a very common practice to dose freshly mixed water to match your tanks current parameters. Some salts will require a longer mixing time than 1 hour, read the label just to be sure but I would think 1 hour to be acceptable in most cases.

As for the skimmer overflowing, it is fairly common for a skimmer to go haywire after a W/C, at least IME. Best thing to do is simply shutdown the skimmer for an hour or 2 after your W/C and that should cure the overflow problem.

Correct, I only added my calcium part. I always make my water 24 hours in advance to let it aerate. I'll start adding my Cal at the same time.

I turned the skimmer off overnight and when I turned it on this morning it was back to normal.

Thanks for the input, for a minute there I thought I was doing wrong by adding Cal to my new saltwater.

izzyish
01/28/2015, 11:41 AM
The other possibility to check is did the water level go up a bit where your skimmer sits? It does not take much to make a difference.

I'm really thinking that's what caused it. I noticed that my tunze ATO sensor was submerged, so I took out about a gallon to get the water level back down. The skimmer was still going crazy so I just left it off overnight and when I turned it on this morning it was fine. Didn't know skimmers where so anal. Thanks!

izzyish
01/28/2015, 11:46 AM
Do you run filter socks? If so, did you happen to change them at the same time? Skimmers always seem to go crazy after a filter sock change.

Changes in water level can also have the same effect on a skimmer as cakemanPA pointed out.

I don't run filter socks anymore, I used to and I'm thinking about getting them back in because my water column is not as clear as it used to be.

I didn't know skimmers would react that way when water level increased. I'll make sure from now on to only add what I took out.

Thanks.