PDA

View Full Version : most profitable coral

alexgv14
01/27/2015, 09:16 PM
What has been your most profitable coral that you frag on a continual basis?

gfernag1
01/28/2015, 11:25 AM
Montipora digitata. They grow fast and what I love, they grow crazy!! I have 4 different colors, looking for more.

usctom
01/28/2015, 01:44 PM
Montis and zoas both grow quickly for me and I'v done well selling them.

oceanarium
01/28/2015, 04:55 PM
The humble weed 'Pulsating Xenia', I did a review of cultured corals we have sold over the past 10 years.

Xenia may be the cheapest but prolific I have sold many thousands of them. It always surprises more advanced reefers just how high the demand is for them.

Reef Frog
01/29/2015, 02:02 AM
If you can get fast growth, I would think the more colorful chalices would be among the most profitable. Anything true "rainbow" colored would probably qualify if it grows fast enough. There is a definate correlation between bright multi-coloration & rarity that drives the high prices in the market.

Reef_Paddy
01/29/2015, 09:34 PM
The humble weed 'Pulsating Xenia', I did a review of cultured corals we have sold over the past 10 years.

Xenia may be the cheapest but prolific I have sold many thousands of them. It always surprises more advanced reefers just how high the demand is for them.

That is surprising but then again i keep pulling it off my rocks and bining it! :idea:

alexgv14
01/30/2015, 07:09 AM
For me the neon green star polyps have been similar to the xenia coral.

Silly clownfish
01/31/2015, 01:03 PM
Frogspawn euphyllia grows like a weed for me and gets a good trade in value at my LFS. Before I had a good place to trade it, I did have to chuck a bit several times a year because it wanted to over take my tank (30g at the time).

Scranton
02/10/2015, 03:06 PM
Fast growing whether it be frogspawn or Xenia stores sell more 10$ frags than anything else so they buy more of them

pow400
02/12/2015, 06:50 PM
Mid range coral is a great area to shoot for. Maybe a few more expensive zoa polyps you could use for trading but generally the high dollar corals ($200+) don't sell nearly as well or grow as well as your everyday torch and frogspawn corals.

BlueFyre
02/14/2015, 07:29 AM
My macros have been the most profitable for me. I know they aren't coral but they have grown fast and are easy to trim. I sell Blue Ochtodes and Dragons breath pretty regularly.

cdmurphy
02/16/2015, 09:22 AM
My ORA Red Planet is mine. Grows like a weed in my tank and my LFS will give me $30 a frag.

Tattoocean
02/19/2015, 10:07 PM
I'd have to say my Red Spotted Mushrooms. I've traded more from equipment, corals, salt and additives than a 10th spent out of pocket for anything I have. Easy to maintain and fast growing to say the least. I catch them sometimes floating in the current because there was no room for them to walk. Gold Jerry, Gold!!!!

daytonareefing
02/26/2015, 08:41 PM
I'd have to say my Red Spotted Mushrooms. I've traded more from equipment, corals, salt and additives than a 10th spent out of pocket for anything I have. Easy to maintain and fast growing to say the least. I catch them sometimes floating in the current because there was no room for them to walk. Gold Jerry, Gold!!!!

Can you post a picture please?

I have been looking for more cool shrooms.

alexgv14
02/26/2015, 09:41 PM
lol I guess those mushrooms really do sell.

Steveg229
03/05/2015, 08:41 AM
I would have to say my pink/orange montipora setosa is the fastest grower and most profitable that I frag on a halfway regular basis. Next would be my Super Red mushrooms.

hart24601
03/05/2015, 09:05 AM
Xenia is a huge seller. For every SPS dedicated guy there are many more people who can't keep stonies let alone SPS. And to people starting out a really cool bright xenia with lots of movement and color that is also easy to keep is about as good as it gets.

delor
03/14/2015, 05:25 PM
Xenia is a huge seller. For every SPS dedicated guy there are many more people who can't keep stonies let alone SPS. And to people starting out a really cool bright xenia with lots of movement and color that is also easy to keep is about as good as it gets.

I've ripped so much of it out of my tank and thrown it away, it isn't funny. That and gsp and Kenya trees!