PDA

View Full Version : Cupramine and Prazi Pro at the same time Velvet and flukes

Chicago
01/28/2015, 07:35 AM
Thought I would get a thread going about the use of these two products together. A warning first. Prime and Prazi Should NOT be used together. If you are making up new water for a QT tank do not use Prime and check with Seachem about other deadly interactions with Cupramine.

Have a QT tank that has several fish waiting to go into the display. I normally treat with Cupramine and then Prazi Pro. Had recently a problem with diagnosing some wrasses and Personifer and Blue Face angel. All are breathing heavy and not really eating. At first I thought it was Flukes.. I am currently on day 2 of fluke treatment. This am woke to find Personifer not eating and little faded. Looks to be velvet.. So I added some cupramine to the QT. Will post back. I did a search and did not find any credible source saying that the two could not be used together. time will tell.

Chicago
01/28/2015, 08:43 AM
ok wondering if can add methalyne blue to help with breathing..

Newsmyrna80
01/28/2015, 10:19 AM
Did you do a FW dip to confirm flukes? Unless the fish us inundated with them I would forego the Prazi treatment at this time and just deal with the velvet. While copper will not eradicate flukes it does have an effect on them.

Chicago
01/28/2015, 12:55 PM
yes i did a fresh water dip.. few days ago.. i have a hard time confirming flukes. guess i need to see a pic of some at the bottom of a bucket.. but the swimming and shaking of the head was what i have seen before with flukes.. so i decided to treat for flukes to be on safe side. but this am.. the velvet started to appear.

Newsmyrna80
01/28/2015, 03:24 PM
yes i did a fresh water dip.. few days ago.. i have a hard time confirming flukes. guess i need to see a pic of some at the bottom of a bucket.. but the swimming and shaking of the head was what i have seen before with flukes.. so i decided to treat for flukes to be on safe side. but this am.. the velvet started to appear.

Well you're in luck. A fellow member just send me a pic of flukes at the bottom of a dip.

Chicago
01/28/2015, 05:42 PM
wow..nice pic I assume those little rice looking things are the flukes. need to have a penny in the pic next time.. so now I am wondering if even had flukes.. after the fresh water dip had nothing like that..

Newsmyrna80
01/28/2015, 07:40 PM
wow..nice pic I assume those little rice looking things are the flukes. need to have a penny in the pic next time.. so now I am wondering if even had flukes.. after the fresh water dip had nothing like that..

Yep, those are flukes. Here's a pic of a them on a fish during a FW dip.

Deinonych
01/28/2015, 07:46 PM
Nasty buggers.

Chicago
01/29/2015, 07:31 AM
wow... flukes are that large.. that like 3 mil.. I have never seen something like that. I was like always thinking they were the size of acro eating flat worms... so Flukes can easly be seen with naked eye?
great pics by the way..

Chicago
01/29/2015, 08:00 AM
are those as large a grain of rice?

Newsmyrna80
01/29/2015, 11:16 AM
Full size neobenedenia can be seen with the naked eye.

Chicago
01/30/2015, 07:14 AM
ok little update.. flame wrasses died. personifer struggling. did fresh water did no signs of ick or flukes. removed 90% of water as not sure if the prazi and the cupramine was to much.

Newsmyrna80
01/31/2015, 07:15 AM
Man sorry about the wrasse:( Hopefully with the large water change the personifer will bounce back.

Chicago
01/31/2015, 08:03 AM
the purpose of this thread was to post about the use of the two together. prazi and cupramine. Other posted indicated it was ok.. NOTE seacheam does warn about the use of other meds with its product. In my experience after losing some fish here I do NOT suggest the combined use of both. I loss two many fish.. I also notice that after I removed 40 gallons of 55 from the QT and used only cuprmine the chevron, peppermint, and personifer are starting to bounce back.

Just my 2 cents worth

Newsmyrna80
01/31/2015, 01:45 PM
Good to hear they are bouncing back. Thank you for posting your results.

tc2007
01/31/2015, 04:35 PM
the purpose of this thread was to post about the use of the two together. prazi and cupramine. Other posted indicated it was ok.. NOTE seacheam does warn about the use of other meds with its product. In my experience after losing some fish here I do NOT suggest the combined use of both. I loss two many fish.. I also notice that after I removed 40 gallons of 55 from the QT and used only cuprmine the chevron, peppermint, and personifer are starting to bounce back.

Just my 2 cents worth

what is the salinity of your QT? I also had a couple of deaths with Prazi / CP. I think the stress of the medication killed them before anything else and they may not even have flukes to begin with. Water parameters may have stressed the fish initially causing breathing issues and making us think of parasites, wherein we put medicine to make things worse. I am not going to add anymore medications from now on unless I see parasites or velvet like symptoms.

v10king
02/01/2015, 02:15 AM
I use prazi and cupramine for every fish I have and haven't lost any yet. They may have been already too sick and died because of it. I have noticed that when I am running cupramine and I dose prazi into tank, if I don't have skimmer on, the fish start breathing real quick, I assume due to drop in o2 levels because of prazi. I just run my skimmer with no cup on and that takes care of the heavy breathing. I put cup back on after 5-7 days of running prazi.

Chicago
02/01/2015, 10:50 AM
Great idea to increase th o2. No skimmer cup. Right on.

tc2007
02/01/2015, 03:26 PM
I use prazi and cupramine for every fish I have and haven't lost any yet. They may have been already too sick and died because of it. I have noticed that when I am running cupramine and I dose prazi into tank, if I don't have skimmer on, the fish start breathing real quick, I assume due to drop in o2 levels because of prazi. I just run my skimmer with no cup on and that takes care of the heavy breathing. I put cup back on after 5-7 days of running prazi.

That's a good tip!