PDA

View Full Version : Raise Sump off of cabinet floor?

brittonv
01/28/2015, 11:29 AM
Setting up my new tanks and got a couple drops of water under my sump. Watched it spread out through the acrylic....

Got me thinking, would it be a good idea to raise the sump so there is some ventilation underneath? If so what would you use, egg crate, PVC rings, Rubber feet.....

urbaneks
01/28/2015, 11:34 AM
Another option to consider is a bead of silicon around the bottom to make a seal that prevents water from getting under the sump. I did this with clear silicon from home depot and it works great.

brittonv
01/28/2015, 12:53 PM
My only concern there is if I should decide to upgrade my sump in the future, this would increase difficulty.

skeeter_ca
01/28/2015, 01:08 PM
I put like 4-5 sealed wood slates lengthwise under my sump to give some ventilation so it won't get all fungussy under there. Just looked at it the other day and no problems for the 8 years.

skeeter

Pigpen17
01/28/2015, 04:33 PM
I put like 4-5 sealed wood slates lengthwise under my sump to give some ventilation so it won't get all fungussy under there. Just looked at it the other day and no problems for the 8 years.

skeeter

Does that help with pump noise as well? Having it off the stand bottom?

Fudz Cwerner
01/28/2015, 05:38 PM
Be careful not to create presssure points that will cause the sump bottom to fail over time.

Jade5051
01/28/2015, 06:05 PM
I lined the bottom of my stand with a rubber bladder stop seepage and catch water from the leaks that are bound to happen.

Place it on eggcrate?

urbaneks
01/28/2015, 06:45 PM
My only concern there is if I should decide to upgrade my sump in the future, this would increase difficulty.

a quick slice through the silicon with a razor knife and you will be silicon free.