PDA

View Full Version : Leaving return hose directly in sump?

JingoFresh
01/28/2015, 07:42 PM
I'm in the processof changing my sump to have a lower drank and to have my return be below the water line in my sump.

This is how it currently looks:

http://i.imgur.com/KQ1iJuml.jpg

Until I figure out which piping I need and change it, would there be any problem with leaving my grey return hose (seen in part above, connected to the white PCP pipe contraption) just directly in the sump?

mcozad829
01/28/2015, 08:44 PM
I am assuming the tank on the left is a refugium and gravity feeds to the sump on the right. I am also assuming your return pump is in the sump. As long as the drain line is still feeding the return pump you will be fine, It just looks like you would be taking your refugium offline during the process. If this is going to be a long process, be sure not to just reattach your refugium to the system without cleaning it out and getting rid of stagnant water or dead macro algae. Just be sure to zip tie it in place so it doesn't get knocked out and spill water everywhere.

JingoFresh
01/29/2015, 01:23 PM
I am assuming the tank on the left is a refugium and gravity feeds to the sump on the right. I am also assuming your return pump is in the sump. As long as the drain line is still feeding the return pump you will be fine, It just looks like you would be taking your refugium offline during the process. If this is going to be a long process, be sure not to just reattach your refugium to the system without cleaning it out and getting rid of stagnant water or dead macro algae. Just be sure to zip tie it in place so it doesn't get knocked out and spill water everywhere.

Thanks for replying. Yes, that's a refugium on the left and my sump on the right. Water goes into both the refuge and sump equally, and is pulled through the refugium by the return pump..there is no siphon or anything.

My plan is to have water return only in the refugium, and then have it pulled through to the sump and return to the main tank.

While I sort out the pvc piping, I want to just have the grey drain hose in the sump.

I won't be taking my refugium offline during this process, but there is nothing in there except maybe some pods.

I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any issues, thank you.