PDA

View Full Version : Algae film on tank glass -

xaflatoonx
01/29/2015, 09:29 AM
I searched but wasnt able to find the problem - although i am sure its common... So please bear with me as I am still new to this.

My tank is 4 months old.
i have a 90G tank - with a 40G sump.
Octopus 150 skimmer
Maxspect 300 LEDs about 12 inch from water level
only RO/DI water
I also run filter socks.
Used Instant ocean - but now using Reef Crystals
Water change is once a month - about 50%

My concern is the green/yellow film algae that forms on the glass of the tank.
I have a flipper scrubber that i use to clean it.

Whenever I clean it - it takes about an hour or so for it to be visible again.
Is that normal? is that because my tank is still too new?

I feed once a day - I know my bio-load is high with 15 small fish in the tank (a couple of tangs and wrasse but all small). I use one cube of brine or mysis shrimp and one small cube of baby brine. Melt it and soak it with garlic and let them have it - Its gone within a couple of minutes - so i dont think i am over feeding. I sometimes also put a little micro pellets for them to munch on at night.

What should I do?

I was advise by a few friends to run GFO.
so i will try to do that as well.

But wanted to post this and see if anyone has had this issue - or if i am doing anything wrong.

Mishri
01/29/2015, 09:32 AM
The only thing that doesn't sound normal is it taking an hour. Why so long? Do you need a new blade? Is it not hitting the glass properly? You should only need to make one pass over the glass with a razor blade. no more than 5 minutes to clean the glass.

I used to always use a plastic holder for my razor blade, hold it at a 45 degree angle and stick my arm/hand in the tank. I'd prefer to use something like a flipper, but if it takes more than 1 pass then I think I'll pass on trying the flipper.

Algae build up on the glass is normal, it's why they make products like that.

morleyz
01/29/2015, 09:34 AM
Well, algae is fueled by excess nutrients. Have you tested your nitrate and phosphate with a good test kit?

morleyz
01/29/2015, 09:35 AM
The only thing that doesn't sound normal is it taking an hour. Why so long? Do you need a new blade? Is it not hitting the glass properly? You should only need to make one pass over the glass with a razor blade. no more than 5 minutes to clean the glass.

I used to always use a plastic holder for my razor blade, hold it at a 45 degree angle and stick my arm/hand in the tank. I'd prefer to use something like a flipper, but if it takes more than 1 pass then I think I'll pass on trying the flipper.

Algae build up on the glass is normal, it's why they make products like that.

I think he's saying that the algae is returning after an hour of cleaning the glass.

Kenmx10
01/29/2015, 09:42 AM
If you have room in your sump you could add some Cheatomorpha and a grow light. The Cheato would be competing for the nutrience. More algae in sump, less algae in tank.

xaflatoonx
01/29/2015, 09:56 AM
Morleyz - you are correct - I am saying its returning way too quick...
I believe its not supposed to happen in days - as in - I should need to clean the green film maybe twice a week or something... but mine comes back within an hour.

Nutrients - is probably what it is - but i cant seem to figure out what to change. I am definitely not over feed - where are they coming from?

Also - Kenmx - I built a refuge in the sump about a month ago. And its got Cheato in it as well with a 120w 2500K light as well. Hopefully its just not kicking in yet?

morleyz
01/29/2015, 10:05 AM
Realistically, if you want to get to the bottom of it, you'll want to get test kits for nitrates and phosphates.

Is the Cheato growing?

xaflatoonx
01/29/2015, 10:17 AM
a little bit -

My light was shitty in the beginning - so it actually deteriorated in the start - now that i have the new bulb - its getting better.

Will be getting test kits today.

Mishri
01/29/2015, 10:38 AM
I see.. yeah that isn't normal. nitrates, phosphates sure, but an hour? I'd think it actually is your LED light, maybe you should try a different mode on them if that is even possible. My guess is it's in "grow light" wavelength that you would use over a fuge designed for algae growth. even with high nitrates and phosphates and metal halides I've never had visible algae so quickly.

xaflatoonx
01/29/2015, 10:43 AM
i know - which is why i am so worried :(

Kenmx10
01/29/2015, 10:46 AM
How long do you run your fuge light?

Also, I've always heard Cheato grows better under natural sunlight at 6500k. If i remember correctly cheato has little growth at 2500k.

xaflatoonx
01/29/2015, 10:56 AM
i run it 24/7

Kenmx10
01/29/2015, 11:34 AM
Cheato needs down time. I would recommend 12 hours at night when the display tank light is off.

Also you can strain your food to reduce NUTRIENTS. Just noticed my earlier spelling mistake.

Bulk Reef Supply has a video on youtube about how to prevent algae from growing on the glass. They also have one on straining food.
I think both would be helpful.