PDA

View Full Version : ? about dino's and hydrogen peroxide

timi hendrix
01/29/2015, 11:36 AM
Well I am about to uncover my tank from a 5 day blackout period and want to start using hydrogen peroxide, the one that has 3%. I have read that using 1ml per 10 gallons was safe and want to know how to add it to my display. example. All at once or over a period of time. Thanks for your replies. Cheers.

Indiana Reefin
01/29/2015, 12:41 PM
[QUOE=timi hendrix;23457787]Well I am about to uncover my tank from a 5 day blackout period and want to start using hydrogen peroxide, the one that has 3%. I have read that using 1ml per 10 gallons was safe and want to know how to add it to my display. example. All at once or over a period of time. Thanks for your replies. Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Add it all at once.
You should have dosed it during your blackout as well. I would just keep dosing until the bottle is gone and see if it comes back after that. In know some people have to constnatlybdose peroxide to prevent a dine flair up from happening.

eddiereefs
01/29/2015, 12:48 PM
have you tried everything else? i got rid of dinos by adding a gfo reactor and upgrading my skimmer. i tired h202 but it didnt do anything for me. i would not do it as it can burn fish gills and corals. i would try a product made for it like fauna x marin which is a last resort reef safe dino option which is made in a lab to combat dinos over about a 15 day period. h202 i theory will only kill dinos in the water coloum.

Indiana Reefin
01/29/2015, 12:56 PM
My friend had good success with peroxide. What makes you think that fauna x marin is less harmful?

jrp1588
01/29/2015, 01:49 PM
Best of luck. When I had dino's a couple years back, they laughed in the face of h2o2.

Indiana Reefin
01/29/2015, 03:07 PM
It depends on what strain u have.

timi hendrix
01/29/2015, 06:11 PM
Is 1ml per 10 gallons a daily dose weekly or one time deal?. Im not too sure. What do you all think. Cheers

eddiereefs
01/29/2015, 07:00 PM
its a daily dose, but you will prob soon find its too small be effective. most threads u will find that did h202 on dinos didnt have success, howver success can be had if you do all the combative methods such as: heavy skimming, gfo, lights out 3 days, refugium, no water changes, they love water changes. i am a dinoflaglettes surviver, (i should make ribbons for us jk). the truth about peroxide is that it is great to combat algae in larger doses. if you take the live rock out and do a 1/4 mixture this will be effective and you can see the algae actually bubble. this is a no no in your display tank as it will hurt corals at larger doses. if you do not have coral on your live rock go for the 1/4 peroxide. just know it can hurt some benificial bacteria on it. in conclusion h202 is a quick fix you have to get to the root cause, usually high phosphate sometimes showing zero because it is consuming it all.

eddiereefs
01/29/2015, 07:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcNuVTp32jE

check this vid