PDA

View Full Version : Flow and sps

AdamNC
01/30/2015, 09:31 AM
So yesterday I was trying to re-position a pos Aqueon500 Powerhead, the kind you get from Petco. It's rated at I think 425gph. Well it really is a pos on the design of a 1/4" piece of plastic on the pivoting ball joint and while trying to snap the suction cup in place it snapped, broke :worried:. I tried to super glue it back on but that didn't work. So in frustration over it I threw it out. Now all I have left is an old Marineland Penguin 550 ph rated at 145gph and a bunch of misc Rio powerheads ranging from Rio 50 up to a Rio 600. Problem with the Rios is they are so old the suction cups don't hold anymore for more the a day.

Long question made short is how long can sps go with minimal flow? Other flow in the tank is my AC70, set on max 400gph and a Jebao WP-10, set on Else and I added the Penguin 550 since it just hangs over the rim. The Jebao may state it pushes so much but I really doubt it.

SPS Galore
02/01/2015, 08:57 AM
Not sure how long they can go, but detritus can settle on the sps and start RTN.

k4ndyk1ng
02/01/2015, 10:13 AM
They suffocate in their own waste

Eastone
02/01/2015, 12:41 PM
Giving ample flow to corals is the only thing providing them means to breathe, as flow slows, the quality of the water around the coral flesh deteriorates, fills with ammonia and gets sucked of nutrients/minerals. The size of this zone is directly related to the flowrate, and by lowering flow you begin to suffocate the coral

AdamNC
02/01/2015, 03:36 PM
Well it's not dead flow around them but about half of what they are used to. I hooked up my 550 and a Rio 600 just to get more flow and rigged the Rio to stay in place for now. But neither have a wide flow, more of a point and blow type outputs. Contemplating on waiting for taxes and just getting 2 RW-4s and place them on opposite sides. I'd love to get MP-10s but with a 2yo and a stay at home wife, money it's tight for the next 2 years at least.

Pife
02/01/2015, 07:55 PM
Pick up an rw4. They move a ton of water and are affordable.