PDA

View Full Version : beginners 75g sump tips?

JBinFla
01/30/2015, 08:41 PM
So what kind of sump setup should I go for? The thing is I know whatever I get will be a staring point and as I learn from this filtration system I'm going to refine, redo and expand. So, what's a good "base starting point" that I can start from? Of course I'd like it all, and if there's something entry level that has it sure but otherwise just something that will "do the job" as I learn and come up with my own ideas and opinions. Thanks

klwheat
01/30/2015, 09:36 PM
What kind of space do you need it to fit into? What equipment do you have to go into it thus far? That will help a lot.

JBinFla
01/30/2015, 09:42 PM
total space is 47x17 wide no more than 17" tall. I will have to remove a center brace to get something that big in but anything over about 22" will require that (one other option is to cut the side, I saw a post on that and like the idea). I haven't bought any of the equipment, but have been putting a list together which seems to change often hence my desire to maybe get some "basics" that I can upgrade as I learn my system. Currently I'm eyeballing the eshopps R-200 refugium but only because I seem to be convinced that I need chaeto to keep my nitrates and phosphates down. I haven't settled on a skimmer, but the eshopps aeo108040 (120-gal) cone skimmer seems to be a fit. The Jaebo 6000 pump seems to fit my pump needs but I'm open to experienced opinions on something that'll help me get the 75g going.

I understand this will be an ongoing hobby, I just don't want to drop money on something that'll be unnecessary or unfit for the task.

Thanks!

mpierce
01/30/2015, 10:05 PM
20 long and add some baffles would be the cheapest choice. Since you have the width you could go with a 30/40 breeder as well and you would have more room for a bigger skimmer etc. I would go with the 30 breeder personally if you are sure it would fit. Then get some glass cut for baffles and silicone them in. Plenty of good sump layouts if you search it.