PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Chili Coral

Whiterabbitrage
01/31/2015, 01:30 AM
my Chili Coral looks dirty, like it has random stuff that has accumulated on it. But it doesn't! There is good flow around it, and I've even tried to blow the stuff off, but it is apparently growth on the skin. Is it just natural? I've noticed it sometimes on photos of wild Chili, but sometimes I've seen Chili that is super clean. How do I get that super clean look, that smooth skin? I love the smooth red skin with pure white polyps. It's gorgeous. But so often these guys have that sort of fuzzy-prickly brown nastiness on them. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

calk me Q
01/31/2015, 10:11 AM
i know!!i also have the same feel as you do. Bump this and see more professional guys

chefbill
02/01/2015, 10:37 AM
Im dealing with GHA right now, so I get the occational strand stuk to it. I pluck off what I can everyWC. Most of any accumulation removes itself daily as my speciman expands and shrinks by a factor of 5 everyday. This restructuring seems to shake it off.

noy
02/01/2015, 12:16 PM
there are several species that are called chili corals: Alcyonium sp, Nephthyigorgia sp., Carotalcyon sp.

Nephthyigorgia definitely does not have smooth skin.

post a few pics.

chefbill
02/01/2015, 02:30 PM
here is mine, closed and open. (open pic is 6 or 7 weeks older than the closed pic)

Whiterabbitrage
02/01/2015, 02:41 PM
Chefbill I think you have solved the mystery. Thank you!

chefbill
02/01/2015, 02:49 PM
On a side note, I bought this 'upside down'...as in trunk at bottom, branches at top. After a little research, I learned that 'right side up' is actually 'upside down'. It is in my tank as the pics show...branches towards the bottom. It has grown an inch, maybe 1.5, in less than 2 months, feeding R.O.E.

GreshamH
02/06/2015, 01:38 PM
It can capture R.O.E.? Dang, I had no idea they could capture such large particles. Way cool Gonna need to try that.

chefbill
02/25/2015, 08:43 AM
Sorry if I steered you wrong...I'm feeding Oysterfeast, not ROE