PDA

View Full Version : Best test kit for Nitrate?

MarkD40
01/31/2015, 03:19 PM
I have heard that many test kits for Nitrate are inaccurate. What is the best test kit for Nitate in your opinion? Thanks

hoooop54
01/31/2015, 03:24 PM
Great question. I would love to know this as well. I use API and I don't love it.

MarkD40
01/31/2015, 03:49 PM
Yeah I was warned about API kits

fishchef
01/31/2015, 03:56 PM
I have been using Tetra and Salifert. Salifert can be a little hard to read at very low levels. I'm not sure if the Tetra is still available, but much easier to read.
Will look for a new one soon. Have used API for CA and dKH. Good results and price.

MarkD40
01/31/2015, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the reply. Any other suggestions out there?

renato120
01/31/2015, 07:19 PM
I bought the nyos online. Waiiting to get here, and try it

fritzz1111
01/31/2015, 10:02 PM
My personal experience is that they are all consistently, consistent, until you start comparing them with other brands, then they all turn consistently inconsistent which can freak anyone out. Keep in mind, the differences are most likely nothing that is so far off that you are going to trash your tank if you choose one over the other (assuming all outside variables are the same - time taken, lighting, feeding, temperature... heck, the device you are taking the water from and even how it was cleaned can make a difference).

It's kind of like having a temp probe sitting next to another company's temp probe and you are a couple of a tenths (hopefully nothing more!) off of one another. You could drive yourself insane trying to make sense of it!

I will put my two cents in on strip testing. This is the one area I have gotten completely different results using same strips from same company and even out of same box... at the same time! But they are great for those that like to dip, walk out the door and know they are not in the process of melting their little nemo. JMHO

Oh yeah, pay attention to how long you hold on to these test kits. Outside conditions may play a factor, but I have had different results in using old liquid drop tests when compared to one purchased the day I got a questionable reading from my older kit.

Final answer - Personally I would stay away from strips and select a good quality liquid test kit (I personally use API and my fish don't complain). Just stick with whatever brand you choose and you will find greater consistency then bouncing all over the board. These company's spend tons and tons of money on research. They all now realize we are no slouches either - much better informed than we were even 10 years ago.

Now, if things start to go haywire... test... then test again, then test again with a new test kit (still same company is what I've done) and only then would I consider checking with another manufacturer. In 25 years (thank goodness) I personally haven't had to cross that road yet. Others will tell you differently, and I'm sure there are even others using something even better. This is just what has worked for me. Take it for what it's worth and keep reefing!

deleau
01/31/2015, 10:07 PM
I prefer Salifert for nitrates.

Ontheway
02/01/2015, 06:06 AM
Salifert.

Crusinjimbo
02/01/2015, 06:14 AM
I like the Red Sea Pro kit with the vial color comparison gizmo. I find it easier to color match using it versus comparing a vial color to a test card.

laga77
02/01/2015, 06:50 AM
IMHO if people followed instructions more closely there would be less problems with test kits.

FishN00b83
02/01/2015, 06:57 AM
I was using the API tests for everything until they ran out. I bought both Red Sea coral kit with the water kit and I'll never look back. they're built VERY well, very easy to use, and the test results are VERY clear. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Phildirt
02/01/2015, 10:12 AM
I use API for nitrate and it works well. I chose API mainly for cost- it works and is affordable. I'm impressed with Red Sea products lately and have used their other test kits. Salifert has always been coolaid here, but I find their granular reagents very coarse and difficult to get level on the measurement spoon.

FishN00b83
02/02/2015, 08:32 AM
I use API for nitrate and it works well. I chose API mainly for cost- it works and is affordable. I'm impressed with Red Sea products lately and have used their other test kits. Salifert has always been coolaid here, but I find their granular reagents very coarse and difficult to get level on the measurement spoon.

yeah I used salifert for alk and p04 before and I wasn't too happy with them. I went to API, which wasn't terrible but those tube caps sometimes leaked which drove me crazy. I'm very happy with the Red Sea kits. no chance of leaking or screwing up...unless you can't count to 5 lol

dkeller_nc
02/02/2015, 08:44 AM
I like the Salifert for minimalist design (one liquid and one powder, no shaking the stuffing out of the bottles like the API), cost effectiveness and ease of use. From the standpoint of the dry reagent, there's a tip in the Salifert instructions - press the spoon full of powder on the inside of the vial, then drag it upside-down across the top of the vial to level it.

I don't personally find the Salifert hard to read, but then again, I don't care if I'm off by 1 or 2 ppm.

CStrickland
02/02/2015, 09:19 AM
I use api cause it's what I have from a while ago and it hasn't expired yet. But I would probably test more if it weren't such a pain. You do the drops they you shake this, then you shake that, then more drops, then shake for a whole minute... Usually that's when I notice my shaking hand is wet, so idk if enough of the first round leaked out to skew the results etc etc then try to match the color.
I'm never really confident in the result but I don't care enough to start over either. When people say they have wacky nitrates I wonder about user error on the api

Mishri
02/02/2015, 09:30 AM
With chemistry there is accuracy, and then there is precision. With reef aquariums you don't need to be very precise.

What that means is you need to be approximately reading the levels to their true values. It isn't important if you can repeat the exact results every time.

It's what fritzz1111 was saying. It doesn't matter if it's a little off because there is a range of acceptable values for any test we do.

I guess there is also measurement resolution.. but any test kit I've seen is appropriate there.

I find Salifert to be overpriced, used them before. Using API now.

jason2459
02/02/2015, 11:48 AM
Just make sure to beat the snot out of bottle #2. And hold the bottle vertically when dripping.

ReefsandGeeks
02/02/2015, 02:13 PM
IMHO if people followed instructions more closely there would be less problems with test kits.

+1, Test kits can't be any more accurate than the person using them. I use the API test kits, which I know alot of people don't like. But if you follow the directions to a T every time, and use something to consistantly test the same volume of water (I have a syringe that has been calibrated to consitantly measure with <3% fluctuation) rather than eyeballing the line on the test tubes. Treat your test equipment well and it will treat you well. most people get lazy and wonder why there results are getting inconsistant.

ReefsandGeeks
02/02/2015, 02:18 PM
Also for the API kit, instead of the cap for shaking, I use a peice of nitrile exam glove and hold it on with my finger. doens't leak or contaminate the test. the tube caps are unfortionatly bad for shaking for a minute. And the colors at first didn't seem to match the sample card provided, then I realized that you aren't suposed ot hold the tube right on the card, but rather hold it an inch or so infront of the card, or off to the side of the card with something white behind. Doing this my colors have matched exactly and I feel much more cinfident about my readings.

CStrickland
02/02/2015, 02:40 PM
Some of the colors are easier to read if you look straight down the tube. I know API recommends that for at least one of them, but not sure if it's nitrates. The high-range ph shows a totally diff color when you do it that way.

kissman
02/02/2015, 03:02 PM
Red Sea Pro very accurate and cheaper since they sell Refills