PDA

View Full Version : What kind of snail is this?

Tuffloud1
02/01/2015, 12:41 AM
Are these considered pests? Tiny, white and only come out at night. What are they?

Space heater
02/01/2015, 02:18 AM
Can you get a better picture? It's almost impossible to tell what anything is in that.

My guess would be stomatellas. They breed like crazy once established and do a great job of keeping up with film algae. The small ones crawl out of the rockwork at night and cover the glass. They're about the size of a pinhead and white. Once they get larger (~1/2") the small shell takes on a pink/purple/pearl color and they look like boogers with antenna.

discocarp
02/01/2015, 04:19 AM
I can't tell from the picture.

chefbill
02/01/2015, 10:19 AM
Looks like colonista to me, but mine aren't pure white, they have tan markings as well. doesn't look like stomatella to me

CuzzA
02/01/2015, 10:29 AM
Colonista. Harmless.

Tuffloud1
02/02/2015, 12:17 AM
Thanks everyone. For those that couldn't tell where the snails are in the picture, there are two right next to each other dead center and slightly to the left in the picture.

cloak
02/02/2015, 11:57 AM
I don't think those are Collonista snails either. I have the same thing in my tank and they only started showing up once I put another Trochus snail in the tank. Do you have any of those?

ecksreef
02/03/2015, 09:16 AM
Hard to see but is it a limpet?

Tuffloud1
02/03/2015, 10:29 PM
I don't think those are Collonista snails either. I have the same thing in my tank and they only started showing up once I put another Trochus snail in the tank. Do you have any of those?

I just put 10 Trochus in my 90 gallon tank. These little white ones were here long before that though.

What are the best snails for eating hair algae? The Trochus seem to make no impact on any algae at all.

cloak
02/04/2015, 12:44 PM
If you haven't already, you might want to post the picture above in the Other Invertebrates Forum. There's a few people there that are very good at identifying things for people.

As far as the GHA goes, Turbo snails have been known to eat this stuff sometimes. Your best bet though it to get to the heart of the problem. There should be all kinds of information here on RC on how to deal with this type of algae, GFO being one of the most popular. GL.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide