PDA

View Full Version : My new Japan Okinawa rare clam

Kaman8
02/01/2015, 05:04 AM
Bought 2 rare clam yesterday . They are coming from Japan Okinawa . You won't see it often , because it's very hard to get it from there. Please tell me what you think about it.

Kaman8
02/01/2015, 05:05 AM
Here is another 1

rgulrich
02/01/2015, 05:16 AM
Wow.
I think that sums it up nicely.
Ray

firemountain
02/01/2015, 07:47 AM
Beautiful!! We now have to figure out how to get them here in the US!!

Kaman8
02/01/2015, 10:24 AM
Wow.
I think that sums it up nicely.
Ray

Thanks

Kaman8
02/01/2015, 10:28 AM
Beautiful!! We now have to figure out how to get them here in the US!!

I think it's possible . Hope you guys will see it soon in the us :rollface:

Ariyan
02/01/2015, 01:14 PM
Dang, i want the coloring one the first one. :rollface:

Whiterabbitrage
02/01/2015, 02:37 PM
Wow! I want them both! Those are gorgeous. The color looks so rich. Super nice clams. I like your avatar too. What a cutie!

Kaman8
02/01/2015, 06:14 PM
Wow! I want them both! Those are gorgeous. The color looks so rich. Super nice clams. I like your avatar too. What a cutie!

Thanks thats my son , he is growing so fast.

moliken
02/02/2015, 05:46 AM
drooling, but i hope the irregularity on number two's mantle isn't permanently there. look out for any more

MondoBongo
02/02/2015, 08:26 AM
those are positively stunning. what kind of lighting do you have them under in those pictures?

Kaman8
02/02/2015, 08:28 AM
drooling, but i hope the irregularity on number two's mantle isn't permanently there. look out for any more

That is the flow , the mantle is nothing wrong with it. :lol2:

Kaman8
02/02/2015, 08:30 AM
those are positively stunning. what kind of lighting do you have them under in those pictures?

They are under led's. You can only see those colors with white light.

moliken
02/02/2015, 07:26 PM
glad to hear that about the flow. real beauties!

thedasher
02/02/2015, 08:36 PM
Wow very beautiful. How much are they running for? I bet they are very expensive.

Kaman8
02/03/2015, 12:33 AM
Wow very beautiful. How much are they running for? I bet they are very expensive.

Corals in HK is not very expensive. We are not that far from them. The shipping cost is way more expensive then the coral . And the owner brought it back with him on plane . So he is not selling that expensive. I think if these clams are selling in the US it would be very expensive. I paid $100 for each, but they are very small, like 1 1/2 inch

thedasher
02/03/2015, 12:41 AM
Corals in HK is not very expensive. We are not that far from them. The shipping cost is way more expensive then the coral . And the owner brought it back with him on plane . So he is not selling that expensive. I think if these clams are selling in the US it would be very expensive. I paid $100 for each, but they are very small, like 1 1/2 inch
WOW!!! A common maxima clam that size runs around the same price here in the US and that isn't including shipping either. man are you lucky. Does the seller ship to the US?

Kaman8
02/03/2015, 02:00 AM
WOW!!! A common maxima clam that size runs around the same price here in the US and that isn't including shipping either. man are you lucky. Does the seller ship to the US?

I don't think he do shipping, but I can ask for you.

thedasher
02/03/2015, 02:14 AM
I don't think he do shipping, but I can ask for you.
Yah please do. Thanks

m0nkie
02/03/2015, 02:54 AM
dude... so nice...

I need to stop by HK next Asia trip and smuggle some inverts back to the States.. lol

Kaman8
02/03/2015, 05:34 AM
dude... so nice...

I need to stop by HK next Asia trip and smuggle some inverts back to the States.. lol

I heard from a lfs that you can take invert on the plane without paper license.

rgulrich
02/03/2015, 01:43 PM
Here's a good read on the giant clams from the region (specifically, the Food and Agriculture Organization):

MARKET SURVEY OF AQUARIUM GIANT CLAMS
http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/ac892e/AC892E01.htm
(an excerpt): "Japan does not import aquarium giant clams at present, and local supplies come from Okinawa (mainly Ishigaki Island) and Amami-ohshima. The species commonly found in Okinawa are Tridacna crocea, T. squamosa, T. maxima and Hippopus hippopus. T. crocea accounts for more than 90% of the total landings, most of which is consumed as food in Okinawa, while only very few are distributed as aquarium pets."
The rest of the survey is a pretty good read as well...just wait until you get to the retail pricing in the area.
Cheers,
Ray

m0nkie
02/03/2015, 05:47 PM
I heard from a lfs that you can take invert on the plane without paper license.

no way!!! I have to do some research into this. I take annual trips to China. I heard you mention about fish street in HK before.. must be awesome :D

Kaman8
02/03/2015, 06:36 PM
no way!!! I have to do some research into this. I take annual trips to China. I heard you mention about fish street in HK before.. must be awesome :D

Yes, but many saltwater shops are not on the ground floor anymore. They are in the buildings now like 2-3-4 floor. It's not easy to find if you don't know the shops.

AkoAung
02/03/2015, 09:51 PM
Here's a good read on the giant clams from the region (specifically, the Food and Agriculture Organization):

MARKET SURVEY OF AQUARIUM GIANT CLAMS
http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/ac892e/AC892E01.htm
(an excerpt): "Japan does not import aquarium giant clams at present, and local supplies come from Okinawa (mainly Ishigaki Island) and Amami-ohshima. The species commonly found in Okinawa are Tridacna crocea, T. squamosa, T. maxima and Hippopus hippopus. T. crocea accounts for more than 90% of the total landings, most of which is consumed as food in Okinawa, while only very few are distributed as aquarium pets."
The rest of the survey is a pretty good read as well...just wait until you get to the retail pricing in the area.
Cheers,
Ray

So basically, the dude bought those clams from a seafood market, and brought them back to HK. Awesome! :) I do see spectacular live groupers in seafood markets but never thought about clam shopping in the grocery.... I wonder if they have them in Chinatown in Toronto... :)

Kaman8
02/03/2015, 11:34 PM
So basically, the dude bought those clams from a seafood market, and brought them back to HK. Awesome! :) I do see spectacular live groupers in seafood markets but never thought about clam shopping in the grocery.... I wonder if they have them in Chinatown in Toronto... :)

I think this is a very old news. Just found it on the web and it was from 1998. Don't think it is that anymore. The owner also brought some leather corals back from Okinawa. I don't think you can buy leather corals from a seafood market . :facepalm:

There is a very big aqua culture centre for clams now there, but it's not that easy to buy it from them.

rgulrich
02/04/2015, 06:47 AM
It's interesting that coloration is sometimes used as a determinant for value or flavor with crocea clams. We do need to realize that the reason for domestic clam propagation in most cases isn't for the ornamental fish industry (very rare), it's for replenishing a food source. That's how it all started in the South Pacific as their native supplies dwindled. As Kaman8 notes, there is at least one facility on Okinawa that breeds T. crocea, among other food fish and invertebrates (such as urchins). It just happens that we can get some of them for our aquariums on occasion, too.
As far as fish markets go...you should see the fresh 1'+ French Angels in the Houston Seafood market, among other interesting catch...

firemountain
02/04/2015, 06:56 AM
Yah please do. Thanks

Yes...I would be interested in what the shipping would cost as well.

rgulrich
02/04/2015, 07:05 AM
Oh, there's a video on YouTube "How to Prepare Giant Clam" from Okinawa dated June 2014, so these appear to be still a rather popular food item, as they are throughout the Pacific Rim (and the Middle East, by the way).

Here's link (yep, it's a little dated, but is from the local prefecture government there) about one (are there more?) mariculture/aquaculture facility on Okinawa, it's purpose, and progress:
http://www.pref.okinawa.jp/site/norin/saibai/documents/outline20of20okinawa20prefectural20sea20farming20center.pdf
And how about a reference to the production of T. crocea at this fishery from 2012:
http://www.lagoonclams.com/blog.html

It's good to see that they're trying to make this a sustainable harvest industry; hopefully the ornamental trade will see more from this region at some point.

billrob71
02/17/2015, 11:09 PM
REALLY REALLY REALLY like the first one!!!!!!!

Seems to be pretty hard to get clams from your area of the world these days. No tear drops in over a year here

Kaman8
02/28/2015, 12:47 AM
REALLY REALLY REALLY like the first one!!!!!!!

Seems to be pretty hard to get clams from your area of the world these days. No tear drops in over a year here

There was a lot of tear drops here 2 months ago. I bought one for my tank, but the coloration of Okinawa clams are much brighter.

joshky
03/01/2015, 06:34 AM
There was a lot of tear drops here 2 months ago. I bought one for my tank, but the coloration of Okinawa clams are much brighter.

I will take a tear drop and an Okinawa clam please. :wavehand:

SHUMALA
03/02/2015, 08:44 AM
Nice! You picked some nice ones. Here are the ones I got from Michael.

panigale
03/08/2015, 11:30 PM
what a great looking clam mate, nice one i can only dream of getting one lol

Kaman8
03/13/2015, 12:19 PM
Nice! You picked some nice ones. Here are the ones I got from Michael.

That looks really nice. :)

dcmatranga
03/14/2015, 07:36 PM
I have a sister in the navy who's I'm japan right now. She's coming back in April,for my wedding - how and where do I get one back...beautiful clam.

Kaman8
03/15/2015, 03:05 AM
I have a sister in the navy who's I'm japan right now. She's coming back in April,for my wedding - how and where do I get one back...beautiful clam.

I'm not sure how to get it. Maybe she can try the lfs there and ask them if it's possible to take it back to the us