PDA

View Full Version : Teflon Tape

Chitownpw
02/01/2015, 01:59 PM
I have a loose fitting that was leaking. I used some teflon tape to stop the leak by wrapping the outside of the fitting with the tape. It has been holding, but (since this is not typically the way teflon tape is used) I'm wondering if the teflon tape will continue to hold - any thoughts?

uncleof6
02/01/2015, 02:25 PM
Unknown whether it will last or not. The better option would be to replace one or both of the offending parts, (with higher quality parts) and use a non-hardening thread sealant, which is the recommended material to use for plastic threaded fittings. Wrapping tape increases the stress on the plastic. Not a good thing to do.

Chitownpw
02/01/2015, 03:39 PM
thanks. the offending parts are elbow fittings running from a pump to a BRS canister filter. the water leaks from both sides of the elbow. to my surprise, i haven't been able to find any better quality parts. do you have any suggestions?

sleepydoc
02/01/2015, 04:16 PM
Are they the murlok push fittings, and from where are they leaking? If you don't have a clean, square cut on the tubing and have it well seated in the fitting they can leak.

EvenFurther
02/01/2015, 04:20 PM
Is this a NPT fitting?

I recommend using the correct type of teflon tape for 1/2" NPT thru 2" for water, use the pink high density TFE tape.

uncleof6
02/01/2015, 04:43 PM
Is this a NPT fitting?

I recommend using the correct type of teflon tape for 1/2" NPT thru 2" for water, use the pink high density TFE tape.

There is not a correct type of Teflon tape for PVC threaded fittings:

http://www.lascofittings.com/threads

Chitownpw
02/01/2015, 04:45 PM
it's a 1/2 " push to connect (pvc) elbow fitting that comes with the BRS canister filters.

The cuts were flush.

Chitownpw
02/01/2015, 04:47 PM
if there is something that will do a better job than a push to connect, please let me know.

uncleof6
02/01/2015, 04:51 PM
On fourth thought, looking at the BRS Cannisters, I am not going to make a comment, other than to say neither tape nor sealant is appropriate for these connections.

Crispy001
02/01/2015, 04:59 PM
it's a 1/2 " push to connect (pvc) elbow fitting that comes with the BRS canister filters.

The cuts were flush.

Make sure the tubing is pushed in all the way. The BRS fittings have two sets of O-rings that work pretty well, but the tubing has to be pushed in about 3/4 of an inch for both to seal.

sleepydoc
02/01/2015, 10:43 PM
You said it's leaking from both sides of the elbow? where exactly? Is the fitting cracked, or is it the connection? As has been mentioned, make sure the tube is pushed all the way in. I've had them dribble when I thought the tubing wasn't seated completely but I thought it was. I can't remember how the fitting attaches to the reactor - is it a threaded NPT fitting? Can you unscrew it an add some pipe thread sealant as uncle suggested?

If the reactor is new I'd call BRS.