PDA

View Full Version : Pressure guage stopped working?


SCreeferGuy
02/01/2015, 05:10 PM
So as the title says, I have a MaxCap unit that has produced about 500 gal since it was new in July.

Originally, the pressure guage needle would jump immediately to the reading. About 4-5 weeks ago, I noticed the pressure guage was taking more and more time (became several minutes) to reach it's final reading, but it was still working. Have booster pump so pressure it sits right at 76 psi.

In the last 2 weeks, the pressure guage has quit reading anything - stays pegged at 0 psi the whole time the unit is running. I am reasonably sure that the pressure is still OK, because my TDS readings have not changed and the volume of good water output is also the same.

Any suggestions to get it reading again? It feels like something slowly plugged the sensor somehow? Does it just unscrew from the membrane housing?

Thanks.

SpectraPure
02/02/2015, 10:06 AM
Please measure the amount of good water and bad water produced individually with a stopwatch and measuring cup. we prefer ML per minute. This will indicate definitively if the gauge is bad. I assume that it is. If you unscrew it from the membrane housing you can soak just the threaded portion in some CLR. Then you would want to get a small needle, and poke in there just a little bit. This may break lose the calcium that is built up inside.

Jeremy

SCreeferGuy
02/03/2015, 09:46 AM
Thanks Jeremy -

Measured 250 mls good water and 650 mls waste in 1 minute just now.

SpectraPure
02/03/2015, 11:39 AM
Ok now locate the flow restrictor. It is in a red tube or a green tube. Disconnect whatever color it is, and remove the flow restrictor. Report back how long the tail is, and I will tell you how much to cut off. This is a simple adjustment ,and we can extend the life of your filters greatly.

Also please report PSI, and also all 4 readings of TDS. Please make sure the system has been running for 5 minutes before testing.

Jeremy

SCreeferGuy
02/04/2015, 08:09 AM
Will check the flow restrictor when I get a chance tomorrow. It will be great to get more life out of the filters - have had to change the DI cartidges after only about 200 gals of production...thought it was due to my well water (but the pH was not high, and water is not "hard" either).

Only question is if I will need to get the pressure guage working first before I change the length of the flow restrictor? Or will I not need to adjust the booster pump after this?

Also there is something on the threads of the guage to seal it, and it looks like teflon tape - or is there something else I will need after I unscrew it?

Thanks again

SpectraPure
02/04/2015, 10:45 AM
Teflon will do. Make sure that you do not put too much on. Putting on a lot of tape, can crack the port of the membrane housing. Also we may need to make RO water only then aerate it. After we aerate the RO water we typically pump it through the DI. Wells typically contain co2. co2 passes straight through the membrane, and typically deplete our DI life.

Jeremy

SCreeferGuy
02/05/2015, 05:16 PM
The flow restrictor was 3 inches long.

The TDS readings were:
meter 1 - Left reading = 165
Right reading = 4

meter 2 - Left reading = 0
Right reading = 0

PSI was 78 (have not cleaned guage yet, reading from in past when working well - was always the same)

SCreeferGuy
02/11/2015, 07:20 AM
Hey Jeremy - any suggestions on how much to trim the flow restrictor?

Suspect I am getting close to replacing DI filters...

SpectraPure
02/11/2015, 12:21 PM
How long is it currently?

Jeremy

s_kelley
02/11/2015, 01:46 PM
My pressure gauge stopped working last month too I too it off and pushed a pin I to the opening on gauge and water leaked out. Looks like sediment or something built up. I grabbed another one at home depot and all is well

SCreeferGuy
02/12/2015, 09:02 AM
The flow restrictor was 3 inches long.

The TDS readings were:
meter 1 - Left reading = 165
Right reading = 4

meter 2 - Left reading = 0
Right reading = 0

PSI was 78 (have not cleaned guage yet, reading from in past when working well - was always the same)

SpectraPure
02/12/2015, 09:44 AM
cut an inch off, and re-measure. we are trying to achieve 4:1 ratio.

Jeremy

SCreeferGuy
02/12/2015, 10:03 AM
OK - will do. Thanks.

So 4:1 ratio on water production? In other words if I make 250 mls from blue line, need 1 liter waste..?

SpectraPure
02/12/2015, 10:30 AM
you are looking for 4 times greater than waste, 2 ppm on RO tds, and I am expecting a pressure decrease. Make sure you let the system run for 3-5 minutes, before looking at the RO tds, and make sure that the TDS dropping. It starts off higher. I call this "ghost TDS".

after one inch being cut and the results are matching as above repeat and cut another inch, and do so either until you get the results or the tail is completely gone. Also make sure that the tip of the flow restrictor has a nice hole on top.

Jeremy

SpectraPure
02/12/2015, 10:34 AM
you are looking for waste 4 times greater than product...

SCreeferGuy
02/12/2015, 11:00 AM
you are looking for waste 4 times greater than product...

Got it - thanks!

SpectraPure
02/17/2015, 01:19 PM
You are welcome! =)