PDA

View Full Version : Am I Setting Up My Tank Right?

tmiller696
02/01/2015, 10:20 PM
Hi! I am setting up my first saltwater tank ever, and for this reason it will be a FOWLR tank. I have a 29 gallon aquarium that I have used for freshwater in the past. The tank has one of those Aqueon hoods with a regular fluorescent bulb in it, a power filter rated for tanks up to 90 gallons, a submersible heater, and an air-stone in it. Today I got marine salt, a hydrometer, ammonia test kit, water conditioner, live sand, alkalinity stabilizer, and a nitrifying biological additive.

I made the saltwater and added it to the tank first, then dumped in the sand, so my tank is very cloudy for now. I added all my chemicals to it and the filter is running so I am just going to let the tank sit for a few days to clear up. However, I have a few questions in the meantime.

1) Should I get a protein skimmer? Some people have told me that I won't need one in a 29 gallon, but I want to be safe. If so, what are some good ones that hang on the back, since I will not be running a sump?

2) How many lbs of live rock should I add? 30? 40? I plan on stopping at my LFS tomorrow and looking at what they have.

3) I do not plan on having coral for a LONG time, so is the regular freshwater hood with a fluorescent light ok? I want the colors of my fish to pop, so should I get a new bulb for the hood, one that is more blue?

4) Should I invest in another small heater, filter, net, thermometer, and siphon for a quarantine tank? If so, do I have to cycle the quarantine tank alongside my main tank? And would you recommend a 5 or 10 gallon quarantine tank (I plan on having small fish)?

5) Lastly, stocking.... Will a pair of false percs, a coral beauty angel, yellow watchman goby, pistol shrimp, 3 hermit crabs, 3 snails, 3 peppermint shrimp, and one cleaner shimp be ok for a 29 gallon fowlr?

Sorry for all the questions... I just want to be everything right! Thank you all.

rfgonzo
02/01/2015, 10:40 PM
I would suggest taking a look at the Sticky, from waterkeeper this will answer most of your questions. It's at the top of the new to the hobby section.

Azedenkae
02/01/2015, 10:55 PM
Hey mate, welcome to the forum!

Hi! I am setting up my first saltwater tank ever, and for this reason it will be a FOWLR tank. I have a 29 gallon aquarium that I have used for freshwater in the past. The tank has one of those Aqueon hoods with a regular fluorescent bulb in it, a power filter rated for tanks up to 90 gallons, a submersible heater, and an air-stone in it. Today I got marine salt, a hydrometer, ammonia test kit, water conditioner, live sand, alkalinity stabilizer, and a nitrifying biological additive.

I made the saltwater and added it to the tank first, then dumped in the sand, so my tank is very cloudy for now. I added all my chemicals to it and the filter is running so I am just going to let the tank sit for a few days to clear up. However, I have a few questions in the meantime.

Yeah that's the way to go, let it be until it clears. :)

1) Should I get a protein skimmer? Some people have told me that I won't need one in a 29 gallon, but I want to be safe. If so, what are some good ones that hang on the back, since I will not be running a sump?

Yeah a skimmer would be better (I guess), but at the same time it is more hassle. I choose not to have a skimmer for my nano, just because it is a pain. And there is nothing it can do that something else I already have can't. So if you want one, do go ahead, but water changes or a really good biological filter media would do. Dunno what brand to suggest though.

2) How many lbs of live rock should I add? 30? 40? I plan on stopping at my LFS tomorrow and looking at what they have.

If you plan to have live rock as basically your sole biological filter media (besides the sand), it is generally recommended that you have 0.5kg-1.5kg per 10 litres. Er, can't remember what that is in terms of lbs/gal. Otherwise you can get something really good, such as Marine Pure, which will be the major biological filter media you'd rely on, and the rock would just mainly be for deco.

3) I do not plan on having coral for a LONG time, so is the regular freshwater hood with a fluorescent light ok? I want the colors of my fish to pop, so should I get a new bulb for the hood, one that is more blue?

Yes. And as for fish colors popping, it isn't much different from what you'd want for freshwater.

4) Should I invest in another small heater, filter, net, thermometer, and siphon for a quarantine tank? If so, do I have to cycle the quarantine tank alongside my main tank? And would you recommend a 5 or 10 gallon quarantine tank (I plan on having small fish)?

5 gallon should do, 10 is better. More space in case you need to house more fish than expected. All those equipment would be fine. You don't need to cycle it, just keep fresh water ready for big water change.

5) Lastly, stocking.... Will a pair of false percs, a coral beauty angel, yellow watchman goby, pistol shrimp, 3 hermit crabs, 3 snails, 3 peppermint shrimp, and one cleaner shimp be ok for a 29 gallon fowlr?

Percs yesterday, everything else I am not sure about.

Sorry for all the questions... I just want to be everything right! Thank you all.

That's cool. :)

tmiller696
02/01/2015, 11:27 PM
Hey mate, welcome to the forum!

Thank you so much for your advice!

Azedenkae
02/02/2015, 12:01 AM
Thank you so much for your advice!

Yw. :) I was once as confused as you lol, even after reading all sorts of books and articles. It is good to get confirmation from fellow reefers. :)

One fish
02/02/2015, 12:47 AM
Buy a skimmer. Most important peice of equipment you can get!