PDA

View Full Version : Royal gramma with discoloration

jock
02/02/2015, 12:03 PM
Can you please help diagnose what is wrong with my royal gramma?
https://vimeo.com/118506861

I tried to get pics but they were hopeless. On the purple part of his body there are blotchy light coloured patches. I added a starry blenny about 6 weeks ago that may have given it something although blenny looks fighting fit. Did have blenny in qt for 4weeks after ttm initially (so 6weeks total).

Also noticed a couple of times in last hour that it would open it's mouth wide open for a couple seconds. Can't say I've seen this before.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/02/f8020dc69b62def88e5253676505c46b.jpg

Could it just be stress? I also added couple corals (never qt'd :( ) and ended up rearranging rock work a wee bit. This was about a month ago. Ever since the gramma has taken up new home hiding behind an internal skimmer. I have no idea why it chooses to stay there as it does have a wee hideout in rocks it occasionally uses that is outwith other fish territories but it spends 90% of time hiding behind skimmer.

Tested water parameters and all good.

Please help. Stunning fish but he looks just awful just now. Even the video does not do it justice.

Newsmyrna80
02/02/2015, 04:31 PM
Try a FW dip in a dark container and see if any flukes fall off him. I think I see some fairly large discoloration areas on him which could be flukes. The yawning is a sign of flukes as well.

jock
02/03/2015, 02:00 AM
Thanks for your reply. I thought flukes I just didn't want to influence anyone's thinking. I have a product called Sera Med Tremazol (I think it's like Prazi pro but it's a lot easier to get here in Uk, can't find Prazi here) which I was going to use. Would this be as effective and less stressful than a fw dip?

Newsmyrna80
02/03/2015, 06:21 AM
I'm not familiar with the product so I can not say. FW dips are done to just confirm flukes. A fellow reefer sent me an image of a wrasse during a FW dip. You can see the flukes coming off him.