PDA

View Full Version : Food vs Water Quality

fishchef
02/02/2015, 11:51 AM
For the past few months I've lightened-up on feeding my fish. When they were fed they got pelleted food for vegetarians. Well, there was a question about water quality and when I checked it I got 2ppm on nitrates. Before, they also were getting Rod's. Started using Rod's again and my NO3 jumped about 10ppm.
We were skipping feedings with the pellets. A couple of my LPS were reacting to the 2ppm and now its elevated they look happy. Any comments?

reefgeezer
02/02/2015, 12:08 PM
What were you feeding the LPS corals when you weren't using the Rods?

ca1ore
02/02/2015, 12:49 PM
Don't think food is necessarily mutually exclusive with water quality. Key is to have nutrient export mechanisms consistent with your feeding regimen. 2 ppm nitrates, or even 10, is not likely to be problematic for LPS (though it might be for SPS). When I used to keep elegance coral, for example, I was only successful in systems with elevated nutrients (up to 40ppm nitrates). Couldn't keep SPS in those tanks though.

Azedenkae
02/02/2015, 01:00 PM
I agree with the above.

I mean it is never a good idea to cut feedings JUST to get nitrates down. If you have elevated parameters and you are feeding as necessary, and it is directly affecting your live stock, then you need to figure a way to lower the parameter directly. In this case, nutrient sequestration/export.

ReefsandGeeks
02/02/2015, 01:02 PM
As stated above, you can feed more food, but need a way to remove the extra nutrients. If you have enough of a biofilter to handle the extra food it is fine. I carbon dose because I have SPS and like to keep my Nitrates down to 0-1 PPM, but I also feed my fish every day and even spot feel all of my coral every day. There are other methods for nutrient export, but carbon dosing seems to work very well for me.

fishchef
02/02/2015, 01:20 PM
I'm going to watch this and spot feed the LPS more. My NO3 generally is 25 ppm and I had not seen a 2, ever. My PO4 had taken a little jump to .10ppm, but that was a flow issue with the GFO. Some new GFO and were back down to .03ppm. I had expected the phosphates to be up because of the pellets.