PDA

View Full Version : Cupramine Dosage Question (Absorption, Test Kits, etc...)

nuxx
02/02/2015, 02:28 PM
Hey guys,

Just finished adding Cupramine to a 40 gallon breeder quarantine tank.

I did 40 drops the first day, 40 drops the third day and 20 drops the 5th day for 100 drops in the 40 gallon tank.

Tank has only PVC and a small cups worth of sand in it.

The fish are 5 Huchtii Anthias and 1 Copperband Butterfly.

I have Seachem and API Copper tests. Both really don't show any definable color on them.

Here are my questions:
1. How much of the copper would have been absorbed by the one cup of sand and the actual tank.
2. Since I can't really read the kits, should 100 drops given some absorption be fine? Should I go to 110 drops?
3. 100 drops should put me around .32, .35 should be around 107 or so. Is .32 even effective enough?

BTW: All fish are eating well and have been for weeks.

nuxx
02/03/2015, 10:29 AM
Any thoughts guys?

FraggledRock
02/03/2015, 10:48 AM
I wouldnt keep any sand in the QT...

aside from that I have no idea.

Thats like asking: how much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

FraggledRock
02/03/2015, 10:49 AM
also given the 16 drops per 10.5 gallons youre under dosed.

40 / 10.5 * 16 = 60.9 drops

also take into account the sand factor and pvc factor.

but always go by your test kits.

are you geting enough of the crystal powder in the mix? are you using the white hemisphere test trays or a test tube?

nuxx
02/03/2015, 10:57 AM
also given the 16 drops per 10.5 gallons youre under dosed.

40 / 10.5 * 16 = 60.9 drops

also take into account the sand factor and pvc factor.

but always go by your test kits.

are you geting enough of the crystal powder in the mix? are you using the white hemisphere test trays or a test tube?

That's for .5 concentration. Shooting for ~ .35 or so.

Sand was in there for a goby that needed it. It's just a cup's worth of sand, not much at all.

Instructions are a little vague with the test kit. How much powder are you supposed to use? Says get a light dusting. Does that mean just at the base of the stick (which there is only enough to cover), or try to get it up all the thicker portion of the stick.

Yeah I'm using the little white tray they supply with two pipettes of water and two drops of their copper 2 solution. Then the light dusted stick and stir. The kit turns more blue than the water I had next to it with nothing in it for reference.

snorvich
02/03/2015, 10:59 AM
You want to gradually work up to 0.5

nuxx
02/03/2015, 11:00 AM
You want to gradually work up to 0.5

Even with Butterflies and Anthias?

Always heard that they should be at lower dosages.