PDA

View Full Version : chiller recomendation

kylemm
02/02/2015, 06:22 PM
Hey guys, so from the information I have gathered on a previous thread. I think I will need a chiller. My deal is I have a 75g tank. Will be sps, just an FYI. The tank has a open sump. However, it has a hood which the metal halides will go in. The downside is that the 250w SE bulbs are only 4-5 in off the water. Aslo, they are lumen max elite pendants with no glass shield. Since it is a discontinued product, you can no longer buy the glass shields. Because of this, I want to put a lid on the tank to protect from splashing on the bulbs. This will, of course, have a big effect on temperatures.

Luckily, I have a family friend who is looking to sell a aqua euro 1hp chiller. He wants 250. It is in good condition, and i thought it would be a great deal. My main question is, would this be completely idiotic to put on a 75? Or would it just mean it would easily keep the temp down and wouldn't have to run that often. Does anyone have any experience with these? The tank will be in my bedroom, so I cannot have a extremely loud chiller turning on every hour.

Any experience or thoughts will help. Thank you!

Big Dog
02/02/2015, 06:30 PM
Hey guys, so from the information I have gathered on a previous thread. I think I will need a chiller. My deal is I have a 75g tank. Will be sps, just an FYI. The tank has a open sump. However, it has a hood which the metal halides will go in. The downside is that the 250w SE bulbs are only 4-5 in off the water. Aslo, they are lumen max elite pendants with no glass shield. Since it is a discontinued product, you can no longer buy the glass shields. Because of this, I want to put a lid on the tank to protect from splashing on the bulbs. This will, of course, have a big effect on temperatures.

Luckily, I have a family friend who is looking to sell a aqua euro 1hp chiller. He wants 250. It is in good condition, and i thought it would be a great deal. My main question is, would this be completely idiotic to put on a 75? Or would it just mean it would easily keep the temp down and wouldn't have to run that often. Does anyone have any experience with these? The tank will be in my bedroom, so I cannot have a extremely loud chiller turning on every hour.

Any experience or thoughts will help. Thank you!

Well that's a strong chiller on that tank. I had a 1/3 on my 90 (I keep my tanks in the garage and it gets hot in the Summer. It cycled about twice an hour on a hot day so that one is going to be more frequent.

If your thinking you want smaller, let me know. I have a spare 1/3hp and a 180g now, maybe swap!

kylemm
02/02/2015, 06:48 PM
Well that's a strong chiller on that tank. I had a 1/3 on my 90 (I keep my tanks in the garage and it gets hot in the Summer. It cycled about twice an hour on a hot day so that one is going to be more frequent.

If your thinking you want smaller, let me know. I have a spare 1/3hp and a 180g now, maybe swap!

I would be interested in something smaller. Are you looking to sell one or just swap?

Big Dog
02/02/2015, 06:57 PM
I would be interested in something smaller. Are you looking to sell one or just swap?

I'd like the thoughts of a swap, so I still have a spare.

This is the CHILLER (http://www.marineandreef.com/JBJ_1_3HP_Arctica_Aquarium_Chiller_p/RJB04250.htm?gclid=CPXe1rfIxMMCFchr7AodWk4AUg)I have for the swap.

rfgonzo
02/02/2015, 08:29 PM
I would take the aqua euro 1hp for that price, plus if you ever decide to upgrade that chiller will work. I have one on 100 gallon DT, the chiller works fantastic but it's definitely not quiet. I prefer to have overkill that way the chiller does not work as hard.