PDA

View Full Version : How not to chop up pods

boosted_347
02/02/2015, 11:42 PM
Ok... what am I overlooking here? If I have a refugium in my sump I'd use it to grow pods, etc. When that water gets pumped back to the display tank how do you not end up with dead/chopped up pods from the impeller? Or am I overthinking this?

Thanks!

jason2459
02/03/2015, 12:16 AM
Some may die but many more will survive and get pushed through just fine.

whosurcaddie
02/03/2015, 07:30 AM
Yeah you shouldn't worry about this at all they will populate your entire system.

ca1ore
02/03/2015, 09:47 AM
Or am I overthinking this?

Overthinking is endemic to this hobby. So I, Mr. Pot, would suggest that you, Mr. Kettle, probably are overthinking things. There was a movement, many years ago, to popularize bellows pumps as the main return. Trouble was, they didn't work all that well, were horribly inefficient, and pods seemed to proliferate in the display even with the supposed sheer damage from centrifugal pumps. Lots of things to worry about in this hobby, but don't think chopping up pods is one of them.

Sk8r
02/03/2015, 11:30 AM
I've had even amphipods come through an Iwaki pump (a real Cuisinart with a metal impeller) just fine. They'll have no trouble.

FraggledRock
02/03/2015, 11:46 AM
quick snacks for your pod eating fish =}

cloak
02/03/2015, 01:18 PM
If you have any flake food on hand you might want to pull out 2 or 3 individual flakes and place them in a cup of water. (1/4" x 1/4") Once they become saturated, pour them right by the intake of your return pump. When they come flying out in the DT, you'll see just how fine that impeller is chopping things up.

Like mentioned above, pods really don't have anything to worry about in most cases.