PDA

View Full Version : Gettin back into the game-FOWLR-what are your thoughts?

Mappelbaum37
02/03/2015, 05:22 PM
Hey all,

I used to have a 75g reef growing up [among a few other tanks], so this definitely isn't my first rodeo. This time around I'm trying to stay away from the reef scene though.

I know for a FOWLR you need a nice sized tank. I'm thinking about a 120 gallons. I'm not even close to the initial set up yet, so what I'm really looking to do is find out your opinion on what size tank would be suitable for the following fish:

eel (snowflake or some other type)
Tang (either Desjardini, purple, kole, powder brown) Possibly 2 out of the 4
Porcupine Puffer
Lionfish

and maybe a foxface or triggerfish...

are 120 gallons enough for the aforementioned list?

Also, for a 120 FOWLR, what sized sump/refugium would you consider using?

Cheers,

MD

jjk_reef00
02/03/2015, 08:50 PM
The fish you mention are larger fish, I'd consider a 180 at a minimum if you can afford it and fit it. You and your fish will be much happier long term.

Tang (either Desjardini, purple, kole, powder brown) Possibly 2 out of the 4
I'd say 6' tank minimum for 2 tangs, and desjardini get very large so I'd skip that.

puffer and triggers don't mix well but depends on the species, most of these would be better off in a 6' tank

If you do go 120 there are plenty of nice fish, but I'd cut down on the number of large ones.

JoelA7
02/04/2015, 01:28 AM
Go bigger. A standard 150 is a great size for a fowlr. 6' length is long enough and 30" high is nice for viewing. Put a pant load of rock with tons of swim throughs and channels and hidey holes.

For fish I'd personally skip the puffer and get one or two tangs one trigger one harlequin tusk your choice pomacanthus and a hardy butterfly like a Pakistani or if you feel like it try a Semilavartus. Maroon clown too is a good choice and a couple of wrasse. Maybe not all of these as its too much load when grown out but you'd have a lot of color and motion.

Mappelbaum37
02/04/2015, 04:59 PM
thanks for the feedback guys.

Love the idea of a harlequin tusk. But I'm also pretty set on a porcupine puffer. I've always wanted one. Would the puffer and tusk be compatible together?

Also, what about protein skimmers. Any recommendations?

Dr Colliebreath
02/05/2015, 11:05 AM
I strongly recommend that you go with a 180. The 120 will be too limiting in selection and number of fish.

An auriga butterfly would be nice.

Reef Octopus makes good skimmers.