PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into the hobby! Things have changed...

Poonagi
02/03/2015, 07:48 PM
Hey guys, it's been a long time! About 8 years ago I started out with a 12g nano, then upgraded to a 30g tank, gave it all away when I moved and I've missed it ever since. My current work will allow me to keep a small tank at my desk so I'm looking to get back into things! Since the last time I looked at reefing, it seems a lot has changed (the old style jbj nano cubes seem to be out, and the lighting is almost all LED now, etc). Having said all that, I'm basically just looking for any advice and recommendations you all can give me. Here's what I'm looking for:

-Tanks. I'm thinking 8g-12g nano. I've been looking at the JBJ rimless or the Cad lights rimless. Any other recommendations?

-Lighting. Like I said before it seems lighting has changed a lot. What's the recommended light fixture now for a small nano?

-Skimmer. Do I need a skimmer for such a small setup? Am I ok with just doing weekly 1-2g water changes?

My ideal setup is basically the small nano with 1 or 2 fish and some cleanup crew. Live rock with some minor hearty corals that do well in nanos (maybe something like zoas, xenia, gsp, etc).

Thanks for any recommendations you might have!

Azedenkae
02/03/2015, 08:44 PM
Hey guys, it's been a long time! About 8 years ago I started out with a 12g nano, then upgraded to a 30g tank, gave it all away when I moved and I've missed it ever since. My current work will allow me to keep a small tank at my desk so I'm looking to get back into things! Since the last time I looked at reefing, it seems a lot has changed (the old style jbj nano cubes seem to be out, and the lighting is almost all LED now, etc). Having said all that, I'm basically just looking for any advice and recommendations you all can give me. Here's what I'm looking for:

-Tanks. I'm thinking 8g-12g nano. I've been looking at the JBJ rimless or the Cad lights rimless. Any other recommendations?

-Lighting. Like I said before it seems lighting has changed a lot. What's the recommended light fixture now for a small nano?

-Skimmer. Do I need a skimmer for such a small setup? Am I ok with just doing weekly 1-2g water changes?

My ideal setup is basically the small nano with 1 or 2 fish and some cleanup crew. Live rock with some minor hearty corals that do well in nanos (maybe something like zoas, xenia, gsp, etc).

Thanks for any recommendations you might have!

Hey mate, welcome back!

Lessee now...

Tanks: I do think the Cadlights are better. Having said that, I've owned neither so can't say. Other possibilities include Fluval, Innovative Marine, and so on. They all have aquariums within that range.

Lights: Just... whatever floats your boats really, especially with your intended purchases. There are so many variety out there that it seems to be a matter of personal preference. I have two Illumagic ComboRay on my 10 gallon and I love it. Will be setting up a pico soon with Zetlights. So yeah.

Skimmer: Definitely not needed. I tried skimmers on nanos before, they are just more headache than they are worth. All that tuning and everything, and it goes out of whack anyways due to fluctuations in water levels. Water changes is all that you need.

Stocking: Will be small fish I guess, but you'll be right. Those corals are good for nanos as well. XD Leathers may also be a choice. If you go down the Clownfish route, you might end up wanting an anemone. Their lighting requirements are apparently a bit different, but hey.

Poonagi
02/03/2015, 09:50 PM
Thank you for the response Azedenkae.

-I'll check out these other tanks you mention. As a casual hobbyist I typically default to the simplest/easiest to setup things... when I last did this JBJ was the easiest. Good to know there are a lot more options now.

-The Comboray looks to be a little more DIY... is it very difficult to set up?

-Thanks for the reinforcement on not needing a skimmer... my past experience with them was not good in that they were so hard to tune and maintain. I wasn't sure if the new nano skimmers were any better. For now I think I'll avoid using one completely.

-Stocking: I love clowns but I'm afraid 8g or even 12g would be too small for 2 of them. Thoughts on that? Definitely not doing an anemone, but back when I had my 30g my clowns were hosting some xenia I had and they seemed very happy.

Azedenkae
02/03/2015, 10:20 PM
Thank you for the response Azedenkae.

Cheers.

-I'll check out these other tanks you mention. As a casual hobbyist I typically default to the simplest/easiest to setup things... when I last did this JBJ was the easiest. Good to know there are a lot more options now.

Hey if you are used to it, it's cool. :D I find that all options work somehow. It's all down to personal preference really. What shape you like, what style you like, etc.

-The Comboray looks to be a little more DIY... is it very difficult to set up?

Not at all, pretty much just plug and play. Pretty much. I mean you can change the LEDs around, but it doesn't take much effort. Here (http://sosofishy.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/tank-mini-sea.html) is mine running. Well, the two of mine anyways.

-Thanks for the reinforcement on not needing a skimmer... my past experience with them was not good in that they were so hard to tune and maintain. I wasn't sure if the new nano skimmers were any better. For now I think I'll avoid using one completely.

Haha then you had the same experiences as me then. XD Yeah I sort of just gave up on them and had been much happier.

-Stocking: I love clowns but I'm afraid 8g or even 12g would be too small for 2 of them. Thoughts on that? Definitely not doing an anemone, but back when I had my 30g my clowns were hosting some xenia I had and they seemed very happy.

A pair in that size tank would be right. Yeah Clowns can associate with corals too, though of course it is luck of the draw. I have a Tomato(?) and a Clarkii that has sorta paired up, though they don't associate with anything. Instead, they just dig pits in the sand.

Poonagi
02/04/2015, 04:45 PM
Once again, thanks for the reply Azedenkae. I will read up more on the lights... I do like the way your tank looks in your pics. Good luck with your tank and keep up the progress updates!

Anybody else have any opinions on tanks and lighting? Just trying to get a better feel for what the community likes. I've tried to read reviews online but without having the tanks in front of me to compare it's hard for me to make a decision!

Mishri
02/04/2015, 05:33 PM
Funny, about 8 years ago was when I was getting back into reefs.. got my 24 gallon aquapod 150watt MH HQI... everyone else was doing JBJ but I wanted to try SPS in a nano like some other member had done.

Never got the tank ready for SPS, too much cycling from uncured live rock and too many moves(3). set the tank back up 2 years ago.

The rest of your questions, not sure on LED lights either.. holding out on them till they get more time tuning them just right, I think they are getting close to being good depends on what you are keeping. I do have LEDs on my freshwater tank, but they are just 17watt, my anubias plants like it.

Poonagi
02/04/2015, 06:19 PM
Funny, about 8 years ago was when I was getting back into reefs.. got my 24 gallon aquapod 150watt MH HQI... everyone else was doing JBJ but I wanted to try SPS in a nano like some other member had done.

Never got the tank ready for SPS, too much cycling from uncured live rock and too many moves(3). set the tank back up 2 years ago.

The rest of your questions, not sure on LED lights either.. holding out on them till they get more time tuning them just right, I think they are getting close to being good depends on what you are keeping. I do have LEDs on my freshwater tank, but they are just 17watt, my anubias plants like it.

So you're currently still running the aquapod with MH? I still see these tanks for sale but I think I'd prefer getting more "current" and going with LED since it saves power and has less heat. Having said that, I used to love my old nanopod! But I'm not gonna lie... the look of the new rimless nanos with the LED lighting fixture over the top looks so clean and nice.

I'm definitely not looking to get into SPS... too much trouble especially in a tiny tank (and I'm not gonna get a skimmer either, which is basically required for SPS). If I had to guess with my exact stock list would be, I'd say:

2 clowns, some soft corals like xenia, leathers, frogspawn, and a couple snails for CUC. Depending on how the water conditions look maybe adding one cleaner shrimp to that mix.