PDA

View Full Version : Restricting flow on 1073.040

AquaProject
02/04/2015, 02:38 AM
I just got a 1073.040 recirculation pump. I need to restrict the flow a bit, maybe 10-20%. I happen to have an extra ball valve, which I could use for restricting the outlet, but the pump also has its own restriction mechanism on the inlet side, which was a bit surprising since restricting the outlet side seems to be the generally recommended option. So I can do it either way - does it make a difference which way I use for this fairly small restriction?

Of course my calculation is based on the official pump performance diagrams, so it could be that after a while (hoses getting dirty etc.) no restriction at all is needed - in that case the ball valve might become redundant.

rvitko
02/04/2015, 10:31 AM
You also have to keep in mind any 90 degree elbows equal 1ft of head pressure. You really could do it either way. The inline ball valve is probably easier to access for adjustment.

AquaProject
02/05/2015, 02:31 AM
There will be two 90 degree bows, so probably there's no need to restrict the flow at all then. I'll at least start without the valve, it can be added later if necessary. Thanks again for your help, Roger!