PDA

View Full Version : Pods question...

Sgt Jonny Cat
02/04/2015, 02:39 PM
Does everyone have pods in their tank? I'm thinking of adding some to my tank now while the fish are in QT so they have a few weeks to populate. Right now I only have some sand, some LR and some chaeto in my sump/fuge.

Are they actually part of a CUC?

Reef Frog
02/04/2015, 03:08 PM
If you have LR that was shipped direct from the ocean or that's been cultivating properly in a retailer's tanks, you should have copepods. They will increase in number based on the habitat features available to them.

But adding some after the cycle is complete but with no fish or carnivorous CUC competitors, it isn't a bad idea if you are planning to eventually add a mandarin or other pod eater, and don't mind spending the money IMO. But their growth potential in numbers will be limited to the food available, and in a new tank you may or may not have that much. There's no guarantee that what you add will "take." But many new tanks do experience a pod explosion but usually it subsides somewhat as the ecosystem stabilizes.

One advantage is you can pick and choose some copepod species that may really reproduce for you, but they may never reproduce at all or in worthwhile numbers. If you are planning on a Mandarin or similar fish another tip is don't add fish or inverts that are likely to feed on them like a six line wrasse. If you have no desire to add a pod-only eating fish, I wouldn't bother adding anything if I were you. If you have an isolated refugium, adding pods later to enhance the population, or try other species, is something you can always do later.