PDA

View Full Version : Fish Compatability

mrukus
02/04/2015, 03:29 PM
I posted this in another section but was advised to come here. Any other advice would be appreciated!

mrukus
02/04/2015, 03:30 PM
Tank is cycling now and am starting to put together a stocking plan. Its a 75 Gal with 75 lbs of rock (not live yet), 40 lbs of pink Fiji rock, 20 Gal sump with a reefoctopus 150. It will probably be a FOWLR tank for the first 6 months or so and I would like to eventually get soft corals and clams going. Not interested in keeping any stony corals in this tank. I would like to purchase these fish as small as possible while still having them be fairly hardy. I'm looking for advice on compatibility with each other and with softies and clams.

Clownfish (ocellaris/percula/TR ocellaris
Engineer/diamond watchman Goby
Flame Angel
Blue Tang
Blue reef chromis
Falco Hawkfish
Snowflake Eel
Picaso Trigger

Dmorty217
02/04/2015, 04:31 PM
Blue tang?? Atlantic blue or Hippo? Both of which will out grow a 75g. Snowflake eel will eat your chromis and clownfish and possibly the hawkfish and goby when it's large enough, same goes with the Picasso trigger. Both of the last two are high waste producers and messy eaters

mrukus
02/04/2015, 08:50 PM
Well that was easy enough. Back to the drawing board.

johno4
02/05/2015, 06:26 AM
Blue tang?? Atlantic blue or Hippo? Both of which will out grow a 75g. Snowflake eel will eat your chromis and clownfish and possibly the hawkfish and goby when it's large enough, same goes with the Picasso trigger. Both of the last two are high waste producers and messy eaters

I agree that the tang will outgrow the 75 quickly, however the rest is not always true.

Picasso triggers grow very slowly and a small one would be fine in a 75 for a few years IMO. I have owned two in the past and both were fine with their tank makes.

I have owned a few snowflake eels in the past and none have ever eaten a fish. Not saying they don't/wont, but "usually" they will leave fish alone.

Duke4life
02/05/2015, 11:13 AM
Well that was easy enough. Back to the drawing board.

I've been on the drawing board for a while lol. My suggestion is if there is a "must have" for you, that you build around that.

mrukus
02/05/2015, 12:04 PM
Love your avatar. I was thinking that since this tank will be an FO for a while it wouldn't be a problem. I will be moving out of the apartment in about a year or two and I was hoping they wouldn't outgrow it in that time, especially if i bought them all as juveniles or "small". If they are still living and i'm still interested in teh hobby when the move comes i would just put together a 500 gal. or worst case scenario if they do outgrow it give it away to someone in my local reef club.

johno4
02/05/2015, 12:37 PM
Minus the tang, I think your list will be fine.

viggen
02/09/2015, 12:34 PM
Biggest problem with snowflake eels is they are extreme escape artists.... they will end up in your overflow box.... or on the floor & in the sump. When they are small it's not easy to make it so they cannot escape the aquarium. That's one of the reasons I will never have a eel again... the other is they usually just lay around & are a PITA to feed when there are other fish that want the food

As stated Hep tang will outgrop the tank and are ich magnets....

Atl blue is hardy.... but they can become extremely mean & also.... grow to dinner plate size

I would consider a Kole tang (yellow or blue eye) which will also outgrow the tank... just much slower. You could also do a zebrasoma tang like a yellow, scopas or one of it's cousins. They also get big but grow very slow & are much hardier vs the blue hep tang

I would worry the trigger might bother some of the small/peacefull fish that you are considering. I love triggers but some can be very troublesome.... kinda like rolling the dice on what you will be getting