PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the Nikon D300?

Ron448
02/04/2015, 03:59 PM
I've got the Nikon D300 like the title says and I tried to take some pictures of my tank but all the pics are showing up very blue and dull. I've tried messing with the white balance. The settings on the D300 give you a color grid to adjust the colors. I've tried all the way in the yellow, red, and the blue. The blue helped the most but the pictures were still blue and dull. I'll try the last corner of the chart which is light blue and green when I get home today but I found a thread about white balance and it said going all the way to the blue should help. I'll post a picture of the chart I'm talking about when I get home as well but if anyone has taken pictures of their tank with the D300 with success I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Misled
02/04/2015, 05:39 PM
You will need to shoot in RAW and adjust the white balance with software, (Lightroom, Photoshop or the software that came with the camera. I am the only one here that shoots with a D300.

Coffeeinbed
02/05/2015, 01:27 AM
Shoot RAW as Misled said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm guessing by your post that you're new or somewhat to DSLR's.

The D300, while not a new model, is still a capable camera for things like macro shooting.

Some things you might try -

1) turn off/cover all other light sources other than the tank lights (especially fluorecent lights).
2) Use a tripod
3) Minimum Focus distance - Make sure you're not closer than the min focus distance of the lens. Eg. - are you shooting 8" away from the tank but the min focus distance for the lens you are using is 2 feet?
4)Shoot RAW - you can correct white balance with a button click afterwards (too blue)
5) What is your depth of field? This is how much of what your looking at is in focus. How much is in focus is governed by distance from the subject and how much of the lens iris is opened ....or... closed (refered to as "f stop" in camera lingo)-

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html - you might try this link and plug in your camera and lens to see

6) Shutter speed - is the camera snapping the picture fast enough to freeze motion?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are just few simple things you can look at and adjust but keep in mind that whole books are available about Macro photography.

Picture taking is a worthwhile and rewarding hobby. Don't be put off by jargon or "bad" pictures along the way.

Ron448
02/05/2015, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the help misled and coffeeinbed. I took two photography classes while I was in high school a few years ago so all that stuff is familiar. I didn't get much experience with DSLR's we did get a little bit towards the end of the class so I'm not completely new to them. I have been shooting in raw mode and I did try a few shots with a tripod as well. the tripod made it much easier to get clearer shots with a longer shutter speed but still blue. I have been able to get shots that are in focus but the color is just completely off. I'll try adjusting the white balance on the computer like you guys said and I'll let you know how it goes and if it goes well ill post the pics. As for the depth of field part I remember learning it as f stop/aperture I haven't really messed with yet either. Pretty much the only problem I'm having is that they are too blue, they have all been focused so hopefully the computer will do the job.

And I also have a question for misled. Since you shoot with the D300 too is the computer the only way you've been able to get the colors right with your pictures?

woodnaquanut
02/05/2015, 12:26 PM
With most cameras it is possible to set a custom WB. For best results you'll need a white object in your tank to use as a sample. This can get you a lot closer to the correct WB but does take more time with setup and might be only valid at one location and time, depending on how your lights are set up.

It's still best to shot RAW and fix in post.

KorD
02/23/2015, 09:33 PM
Thats the same camera I have... It is a pain in the butt to use, but it takes good pictures.. here are a few that I shot with it.

I am still working on learning the steps of taking better pictures.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae232/imthekrazyone/KorD/unknown2_zps9540c26f.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae232/imthekrazyone/WP_20140913_08_04_37_Pro-2_zps2f07329b.jpg

3dees
03/08/2015, 11:02 AM
I use a D300. still one of the best non-full frame cameras. I shoot both raw and jpeg. if you don't want to shoot raw turn down the actinics. not the best solution but you'll get rid of most of the bluish cast. these were taken in jpeg.

jthao
03/09/2015, 10:38 AM
I had a d300 back in the days. It's an awesome camera! Its one of the very few "pro body" that's cropped sensor/ dx.
Best way to shoot is to do custom white balance with a white acrylic in the tank next to your corals. and as mentioned above, u can always do post as well. But imho, I was able to do some nice decent shots just out of camera with custom white balance.
I now shoot with a d600, and a secret macro lense ;)

Ron448
03/18/2015, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the info every one and sorry I haven't gotten around to posting my pictures I've been busy working and trying to figure out if something is eating my zoanthids but I have been able to try out some of the tips and I've been able to get some decent pics. I think the lense I have also might be part of the problem I'm pretty sure it's just the standard lens it comes with and I don't have the funds for a nice macro lens right now. I haven't taken many pictures recently but I'll eventually be posting some