PDA

View Full Version : Help! Questions on moving tank

graphene
02/05/2015, 08:23 PM
This is a little last minute, but I am moving my tank from college to my home tomorrow. It's a 20G, with like 25lb of LR. Got 3 peppermint shrimps, 2 clowns, and a variety of coral frags. I am planning to put my corals in bags, and my fish in a 5G bucket half filled with water. Upon my arrival, I plan to buy 10G of distilled water, because I don't think I will have the time to make 20Gs(I have a long drive 160 miles!!). How long should I wait for the salt to mix before adding live stock? Also the drive will be approx 3hrs, and at the time of departure my livestock would have already been contained for 5hrs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially if I am doing something wrong!

TheGrog
02/06/2015, 12:17 PM
As a veteran of over 10 moves (one was 1200 miles), I have a little input.
If you have a few buckets with sealing lids (like from Instant Ocean) drill a hole in the top, run a air line down and run a simple air pump with airstone. Can stay like that for over a day. Being in a half-filled bucket with water in the drive, the LR will be fine with normal sloshing in the bucket. The lid is pretty much water tight too. Would wrap in a garbage bag just to be safe.
Also, find a LFS near home and give them a call. Most have pre-mixed salt water for sale relatively cheap. Just need a container.
Would use distilled only in emergency. It is almost TOO pure and will throw off your pH, alkalinity, and other specs if not aged about a day.

graphene
02/22/2015, 02:54 PM
Ah, thanks for your reply. I didn't even have a chance to look at this. However I did make the move and it was successful. My livestock definitely hated me as I played super loud music xD, and I used distilled water because it was so rushed. Good news is that nothing died!

julie180
02/22/2015, 02:58 PM
Keep an eye out for a mini cycle. I am a firm believe in the seachem ammonia alert. Tells you at a glance if ammonia is rising.