PDA

View Full Version : Which Goniopora species is this?

Sophie reef dog
02/07/2015, 08:57 AM
Which species of Goniopora is this? My system is a 55 gallon at my office; it was my boss' idea to convert it from freshwater to saltwater last summer and the LFS has been very helpful with the setup, cycling etc. Unfortunately, my boss made all of the fish and coral choices without any of us have the least knowledge of anything to do with coral reefs and she picked the Goniopora because it was a beautiful specimen. Which it is, but...anyway, I have since gotten bitten by the bug and have spent pretty much all of my spare time for the past 6 months reading everything I can about saltwater reef aquariums to catch up and learn how to best take care of what we have. The gonio has seemed very happy where it was until the past couple of weeks when it stopped extending hardly at all. I am trying to find out what species it is to figure out where it should best be placed (it has been about half way up in the tank with LED lights), but I feel like I need to move it because I have discovered there is an aptasia growing out of a crevice right behind it that I have been unsuccessful at eradicating. I am trying to figure out if it would be better at a similar level on the rock, lower on the rock, on the sand, etc. I do have a very industrious goby whom I am afraid will bury it if I place it on the sand. I am very sad that I don't have access to John Kelly's web site with his wealth of information on gonios :(

cloak
02/07/2015, 10:56 AM
Maybe these links will help.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/12/inverts

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/nftt/index.php

Sophie reef dog
02/07/2015, 09:51 PM
Thanks cloak, I've read those...and everything else I can find about goniopora. Where I have gotten stuck is that some "experts" (from other on line forums) state that all gonios should be put in the sand. I have read just about every post by John Kelly et al about gonios on RC and advanced aquariast etc. and it sounds like most people are basing their placement in the tank (logically) on the species, reflecting where that species is usually found in the wild. I know the one I have is a frag of a wild harvested specimen originally from Australia, and I have read that the red colored ones tend to be from somewhat deeper waters (though mine is not as darkly colored as some I have seen) than the green and tan ones, though please correct me if I am wrong on that. I don't know what has made him unhappy but I do feel like I should move him to get him away from the stupid aptasia and to give him more room as it was getting a little crowded where he was. I just want to make sure I move him to just as good or an even better location, which brings me back around to my original question :) I know I just officially joined RC last month, but I actually have been lurking around on here as a guest for a number of months reading the archives...and I have a whole lot of reading left to do!!

AkoAung
02/08/2015, 05:59 AM
Maybe these links will help.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/12/inverts

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/nftt/index.php

awesome links!

AkoAung
02/08/2015, 06:08 AM
Thanks cloak, I've read those...and everything else I can find about goniopora. Where I have gotten stuck is that some "experts" (from other on line forums) state that all gonios should be put in the sand. I have read just about every post by John Kelly et al about gonios on RC and advanced aquariast etc. and it sounds like most people are basing their placement in the tank (logically) on the species, reflecting where that species is usually found in the wild. I know the one I have is a frag of a wild harvested specimen originally from Australia, and I have read that the red colored ones tend to be from somewhat deeper waters (though mine is not as darkly colored as some I have seen) than the green and tan ones, though please correct me if I am wrong on that. I don't know what has made him unhappy but I do feel like I should move him to get him away from the stupid aptasia and to give him more room as it was getting a little crowded where he was. I just want to make sure I move him to just as good or an even better location, which brings me back around to my original question :) I know I just officially joined RC last month, but I actually have been lurking around on here as a guest for a number of months reading the archives...and I have a whole lot of reading left to do!!

you've taken on a pretty challenging coral for someone new imo. As they say the gonis from the wild tend to not last a year, even in the hands of pretty experienced reef keepers that I know of. I myself am not ready to take on that challenge unless I know it's an established aquacultured frag like the ora red goni. It's a big challenge, and much luck to you. Don't get too much tunnel vision there. How're the rest of the creatures doing?

Sophie reef dog
02/08/2015, 07:07 AM
you've taken on a pretty challenging coral for someone new imo. As they say the gonis from the wild tend to not last a year, even in the hands of pretty experienced reef keepers that I know of. I myself am not ready to take on that challenge unless I know it's an established aquacultured frag like the ora red goni. It's a big challenge, and much luck to you. Don't get too much tunnel vision there. How're the rest of the creatures doing?

Oh believe me, I know :facepalm: as soon as I started reading about these guys I got a knot in my stomach. Everyone else in the tank seems very happy: we have two different species of pulsing xenia, a torch, a fuzzy mushroom (that was actually a hitch-hiker), some GSP, a hammer, some zoanthids, a pink bubble and a green bubble, and two different Duncan species. Our critters include two damsels, 3 bangii cardinals, two clowns, a goby, a lawnmower blenny, a fire shrimp, and 4 peppermint shrimp. The other coral are growing very well, which is why I am puzzled as to what has made the gonio unhappy. I target feed everyone three to four times a week with Coral Frenzy and myasis shrimp

albano
02/08/2015, 07:32 AM
...The gonio has seemed very happy where it was until the past couple of weeks when it stopped extending hardly at all. I am trying to find out what species it is to figure out where it should best be placed...

IMO, this is what happens with most wild collected goniopora... Seems to be fine for a few weeks, then goes downhill.
If this is the case, I would suggest not buying it again...or maybe try an aquacultured frag

Sophie reef dog
02/09/2015, 08:04 PM
So, does anyone have any ideas as to the species?