PDA

View Full Version : cyano and green hair

AT
02/07/2015, 05:21 PM
I had a major outbreak of red cyanobacteria and used chemiclean to remove it. It seemed to disappear for a day then came back as green algae even worse . Any ideas?

bertoni
02/07/2015, 06:46 PM
The pest, whatever it is, is feeding on nutrient in the water column. I would look at the feeding level, and perhaps add some GFO to the system. Cutting back on the food might solve the problem, as might some GFO. If not, we can work from there.

Spending a few minutes a week siphoning out as much slime as is easy to get will help with nutrient export. I wouldn't spend much more time than that, personally.

AT
02/08/2015, 10:43 AM
Thanks I will try the GFO

asylumdown
02/08/2015, 01:26 PM
Your red cyano didn't 'come back' as green cyano. They're two different species, possibly both from the cyanobacteria group, but possibly not.

However, it does sound like the removal of the first simply made space for the second, so Bertoni is right, you need to look in to nutrient control. It might help if you posted some more info about the tank's other details (age, size, stock list, equipment, etc. etc.).

Spiffy
02/08/2015, 06:04 PM
Cyano and excessive algae is a sign of high nitrate levels. Feed less, do weekly water changes of about 20-30%, and vacuum the substrate if you're using course sand or crushed coral/aragonite. Detritus and fish waste can produce asinine amounts of nitrates. You should look into a bio-pellet reactor if you're like me and go long times between water changes.

Mikem89
02/08/2015, 08:48 PM
Water change 30% every week and clean rock helped me

super_steve85
02/09/2015, 11:54 AM
It is likely elevated nitrate and/or phosphate levels. About a year ago I was getting cyano in my tank. My nitrates always read 0 but my phosphate levels were around .25. I figured out the water filter I was using was shot so I replaced it with an RO/DI filter for my topoff and water change water and haven't had a problem since. Be sure you aren't overfeeding and be sure you are using RO/DI water when doing water changes and for topping off your system. PhosGuard will also work well to reduce phosphates.