PDA

View Full Version : Sump lighting shining through display problem?

ohioreef71
02/07/2015, 06:41 PM
Is there a negative effect of lighting from sump/fuge shining through the bottom of tank glass when lights are off. I run my lights on a reverse photo period and at night there is a few areas shining through pretty good. I use a shallow sand bed and a few areas around rocks and areas that my goby has excavated is bare glass. Will coral or fish be effected?

suzig
02/07/2015, 09:12 PM
other than maybe throwing some fish off id say no. although i will add i feel bad sometimes when i turn on the lights in my room and i see some fish start to wake up and then i put them back to darkness. definitely not natural by any means.

jason2459
02/07/2015, 09:15 PM
I used to have a hob refugium and was on opposite light schedule from the tank. Tank back was painted but still had some bleed over. It made for a good moon light.

If it's just a little I wouldn't worry about it. But burying fish like leopard wrasses probably wouldn't like it but probably wouldn't do good in your shallow sand anyway.

zachts
02/07/2015, 11:54 PM
Never had any issue with it. my sump lights are on 24/7 and reflect back up through the tank to some degree. kind of like weird moon light I suppose. the fish don't seem to care and sleep just fine.

tkeracer619
02/07/2015, 11:58 PM
I like my tanks to get dark. That way all I have to do to catch them is turn the lights on and put the net in. They don't even try to run...

Not sure how that would effect it. I would black the bottom of the tank out, some cardboard and tape should work.

The ocean is dark at night. Very dark.

Raul-7
02/08/2015, 03:51 PM
I like my tanks to get dark. That way all I have to do to catch them is turn the lights on and put the net in. They don't even try to run...

Not sure how that would effect it. I would black the bottom of the tank out, some cardboard and tape should work.

The ocean is dark at night. Very dark.

This, use styrofoam to block out the light bleed from the back of your stand.