PDA

View Full Version : question about led build in progess

beolson25
02/07/2015, 11:46 PM
So ... Writing this quickly so I can goto bed. I got all my parts for my LED build...
I put everything together and I have a blue channel and a white channel. White works perfectly. The problem is when I turn on the blue channel the white channel gets a very small amount of power. this does not happen with whites. When whites are turned on the blues do not light up at all. I started doing some things to figure out the problem. I measured resistance between every led and the heatsink and could not find a connection ... So I thought maybe the wiring ... Well ... I actually disconnected the leads from the white string completely and the white LEDs still had a dull light when blue was turned on. They are on separate drivers so the power must be coming from the blue string/driver.

What is my next step?

I thought maybe some weird induction current or something but that seems unlikely.

I'll look more in the morning but thought I'd write this for the night owl replies. Thanks in advance.

perkint
02/08/2015, 04:49 AM
The whites, generally, are actually blues that have had a phosphorous coating to make them produce white light. This phosphorous coating is excited by blue light, to emit white light. So the white you are seeing is probably just being emitted by the phosphorous coating as it gets hit by some stray light from your blues, bizarre as that may seem!

Tim

beolson25
02/08/2015, 07:46 AM
The whites, generally, are actually blues that have had a phosphorous coating to make them produce white light. This phosphorous coating is excited by blue light, to emit white light. So the white you are seeing is probably just being emitted by the phosphorous coating as it gets hit by some stray light from your blues, bizarre as that may seem!

Tim

Tim,
Awesome. You are 100% correct. I used an empty paper towel roll to look at one of the white LEDs without any other light hitting it. And ... There was no light being emitted.

Thanks for the perfect response. Now I'm just mad I spent almost 3 hours trying to troubleshoot the issue.

perkint
02/08/2015, 08:38 AM
LOL - it's all good fun :)

Tim

beolson25
02/08/2015, 07:03 PM
Here is the tank with the new LEDs. Pretty happy with the look ... If it works correctly there will be 2 atttachments. 1 will have blues across the tank which is the new lights and the other will be split since my China led fixture had the blue channel go out. I hope it posts correctly from my phone.

perkint
02/09/2015, 12:54 AM
Looks good :)

Tim