PDA

View Full Version : Hang on back skimmer

scottch
02/08/2015, 09:50 AM
So i'm thinking of finally getting a skimmer and since i don't run a sump it needs to be HOB. I'm reading ALOT of feedback that they can overflow. Are there any mods you can do to any of these HOB models to prevent them from overflowing? They sound finicky to the point it might be more trouble than it's worth.

tassy
02/08/2015, 09:55 AM
Reef October bh90. Works like champ, never had a problem with it. Very easy to ajust.

tassy
02/08/2015, 09:59 AM
Um. Reef octo. Love these smart phones.

Ztrain
02/08/2015, 10:36 AM
I've heard good things about the BH90 and that would probably be the next one I'd ever get. Possibly the AquaC Remora. I'm currently using and works very well for me the Eshopps PSK-75h.

Z

oseymour
02/08/2015, 10:47 AM
AquaMaxx HOB-1 has a drain where if it overflows it goes back into the skimmer or you can run the line to a bucket.

See the black drain at the top in the picture.

Jade5051
02/08/2015, 11:03 AM
AquaC Remora hands down. Get or make a silencer (they'll be kind of noisy without it) and possible the overflow box to trap bubbles. Not sure how big the tank is could be a job for the S or Pro or Pro S series. Stupid easy to use. Works like a boss. Set it and forget it. You wont be disappointed. Can pick them up used for $40-60 on ebay. My other recommendations have already been mentioned but I have experience with the Remora so I swear by them.

I'd trial my other recommendations in this order depending on what I was looking for Aquamaxx > Eshopps > Reef Octopus. The Aquamaxx looks cool and interesting and has great reviews. The Eshopps also has amazing reviews and are basically silent. I haven't read much on the Reef Octopus

scottch
02/08/2015, 11:19 AM
I probably should have mentioned it's a 65G tall tank. The one that's the same dimensions as a 55g just taller.

I'd like to avoid having the pump in the tank if possible.

Norman123
02/08/2015, 11:25 AM
Just because I had the same fear of overflowing and a hubby that keeps giving me grief about possible leakage...I installed the Hydor Internal skimmer. Works much better than I ever expected it to. I highly recommend this skimmer but I suspect that it's not big enough for your tank...

Jade5051
02/08/2015, 11:40 AM
I probably should have mentioned it's a 65G tall tank. The one that's the same dimensions as a 55g just taller.

I'd like to avoid having the pump in the tank if possible.

Most HOB skimmers are going to have something big in the tank. Many use an overflow box or a sponge filter output. With a 65G tall you will want a pretty strong skimmer. I gave you some links to the ones I'd recommend.

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaC_Remora_Pro_S_Hang_On_Protein_Skimmer_w_Drain_Fitting_Hang_On_Spray_Injection_Protein_Skimmers-AquaC-AC3125-FIPSHOSI-vi.html Watch the video at the bottom of the page.

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_ConeS_HOB_Hang_On_Back_Protein_Skimmer_Hang_On_Protein_Skimmers_for_Aquariums_Reefs-AquaMaxx-UJ1191-FIPSHO-vi.html Your best bet if you want an AquaMaxx product.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19865 Get the HOB 100.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Octopus_BH_90_HOB_Protein_Skimmer_Hang_On_Venturi_Protein_Skimmers-Reef_Octopus-CV20538-FIPSHOVS-vi.html

Jade5051
02/08/2015, 11:44 AM
Just because I had the same fear of overflowing and a hubby that keeps giving me grief about possible leakage...I installed the Hydor Internal skimmer. Works much better than I ever expected it to. I highly recommend this skimmer.

Hydor, Precision Marine, Eshopps and Tunze are the internal skimmers that come to mind. Not sure if this is something they want. Sounds like they don't want anything or as little as possible in the tank.

Marchillo
02/08/2015, 11:46 AM
I use the EShopps PSK 75 as well. Took a while for me to get it conditioned properly, but I like it a lot now (look at the post I created). I got rid of the small overflow tube and bought a longer tube running in a bucket under my tank. I'll try to post a photo.

mfaso24
02/08/2015, 11:49 AM
Reef October bh90. Works like champ, never had a problem with it. Very easy to ajust.

+1 on the bh90 for me. Only down side is that because of its shape (which allows to skim better because of its shape) however takes up quite a bit of space to fit behind the tank.

Disclaimer: this is my first and only skimmer so I have nothing else to compare it too.

Marchillo
02/08/2015, 12:00 PM
Here are the photos. I must say I am new to the hobby myself and this is the only skimmer I have had. I am sure there are better ones out there. This is affordable and they seem to work well. I am emptying mine every two days. Bubbles are a little low in the third photo since I just fed a while ago. A note on the bucket - I did the best to position it under the skimmer so if the overflow is too great for the overflow line and spills out the top my bucket has a chance to "catch it". Also I have a water alarm on the floor behind my tank. Works like a smoke detector. If I'm not home it obviously wouldn't help but if you are home and have a water overflow then the alarm would go off. I think this is a must have for anyone - $10 Home Depot.

Good luck - Steve

ksed
02/08/2015, 12:17 PM
Either the Eshopps 100 or the aquamaxx.
http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_HOB_1_Hang_On_Back_Protein_Skimmer_Hang_On_Venturi_Needle_Wheel_Protein_Skimmers-AquaMaxx-UJ1151-FIPSHONW-vi.html

Captain smoke
02/08/2015, 12:54 PM
Ive been running the Eshopps HOB 75 for my 60gal tank. I do not have a heavy bio-load but this skimmer works great. The only time I had it overflow (cough it before it overflowed on the floor) but that was my mistake, I use a HOB filter with a filter sock installed and I put in a new sock without washing it first and that will cause it to go wild.

scottch
02/08/2015, 01:10 PM
Thanks for all the good suggestions.

So to be clear it overflows at the cup when it does happen? Having the external drain setup i assume would alleviate this to an extent assuming the external collection reservoir doesn't fill up.

ALmost makes me paranoid enough to not run the skimmer unless i'm home.

BleuFish
02/08/2015, 01:17 PM
I'm running the reef octo bh2000 on my 75. It is noisy, looks allot better when you paint the interior parts black to match the black wall, and can't overflow. Overall it's pretty decent, I have it on a timer.

Marchillo
02/08/2015, 01:23 PM
When I first put it on my tank it was so fast that it came out the top. There is a break in period. I took a 5 gallon bucket of old water and put the bucket in a big Tupperware in my basement with a heater. I had to put the bucket on some bricks so the skimmer sat properly. Ran it for a couple weeks. The overflow went into the Tupperware. The amount of water the overflowed was minimal but couldn't have it happen in my living room. Once I set it back on my tank its overflowed zero times. Of course there is the potential. I've heard the biggest risk with the Esshops is the sponge can get clogged and backup. Just clean it every couple weeks.

I run the overflow hose in the bucket some do it back in the tank. But yes if the overflow is out of control it will come out the top.

ksed
02/08/2015, 01:51 PM
In regards to overflows with HOB. Most have a drain hose built into the collection cup. The Eshopps has it drilled up high, therefore run that hose toward the tank so that if there is any overflow it will go back to the tank. Here is the hose on the Eshopps.
http://eshopps.com/products/proteinskimmer/hangon/psk75h/

mfaso24
02/08/2015, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all the good suggestions.

So to be clear it overflows at the cup when it does happen? Having the external drain setup i assume would alleviate this to an extent assuming the external collection reservoir doesn't fill up.

ALmost makes me paranoid enough to not run the skimmer unless i'm home.

It will really only have a chance to overflow during the break in period. And it's not even a guaranteed thing. I remember when my was breaking it it would just gather A LOT of foam in the cup. The foam would kind of be seeping out the holes. This lasted for like a day and I would just turn it off when I wasn't home for extended periods of time.

Captain smoke
02/18/2015, 08:28 PM
Strange thing is happening tonight, I did a 20% water change tonight and I cleaned my filter sock by putting it in a 5 gal bucket with hot water and 1/4 cup of bleach and rinsed it for 20 min and let it dry out and rinsed it in Ro water and replaced and now my HOB 75 is causing micro-bubbles from hell, I took it off and cleaned that with clean water and replaced and primed the pump and bam more bubbles so now I'm trying the raising up 1" and letting it run for 3hrs to see if that fixes it. Any ideas?

jrp1588
02/18/2015, 08:53 PM
I love the HOB-1 on my 29gal. They make a bigger model, which I would use for a 65gal. It works great, doesn't take up much room at all in tank, and it can't really overflow.

rich_one
02/19/2015, 02:44 PM
Is there a HOB skimmer that can work for a 125 gallon tank?

-Rich

mfaso24
02/19/2015, 06:34 PM
Is there a HOB skimmer that can work for a 125 gallon tank?

-Rich

Yes but it may be okay only for a light bioload. They don't really make them for tanks much bigger than that so you probably can't plus size.

rich_one
02/19/2015, 09:14 PM
Okay, thanks!

-Rich

firemountain
02/20/2015, 12:56 AM
Strange thing is happening tonight, I did a 20% water change tonight and I cleaned my filter sock by putting it in a 5 gal bucket with hot water and 1/4 cup of bleach and rinsed it for 20 min and let it dry out and rinsed it in Ro water and replaced and now my HOB 75 is causing micro-bubbles from hell, I took it off and cleaned that with clean water and replaced and primed the pump and bam more bubbles so now I'm trying the raising up 1" and letting it run for 3hrs to see if that fixes it. Any ideas?

I noticed that right after a water change....I would get a lot of micro bubbles upon start up. It went away after a while, but I always made it a point to raise the cup for a few hours.

mfaso24
02/20/2015, 07:52 AM
I noticed that right after a water change....I would get a lot of micro bubbles upon start up. It went away after a while, but I always made it a point to raise the cup for a few hours.

I don't know if I get microbubbles but my production does usually stop for a little while after a water change. It has to do with the change in surface tension in the water.