PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Dip question.


NanoReefer84
02/08/2015, 04:24 PM
Was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on dipping live rock to get rid of green hair algae. I was thinking of, after completing water change, using the old tank water and adding hydrogen peroxide to use as a dip for the LR. Of course the LR has no corals attached and would only be dipped for 5-10 minutes. I've read H2o2 works wonders on many types of algae but I don't wanna dose my tank with it, I just want to treat the one and only place were I have the algae problem, a single piece of LR. Thanks guys!

-Nanoreefer84-

immortl
02/08/2015, 08:00 PM
I've been reading about H2O2 dipping to eliminate various forms of algae all weekend. This evening I gave it a shot on 2 smaller rocks, a sun coral, and a candy cane/trumpet coral. So far all appears ok, but I only did it a short while ago. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

Based on what I've read, I would start with a lower soak time, more inline with 2-3 minutes.

I mixed fresh saltwater at 80 degrees with an equal part of 3% H2O2 (standard pharmacy variation) and then filled another container with fresh salt water for rinsing. After manually pulling off the easily removable portions of hair algae, I soaked each rock/coral for 2 1/2 - 3 minutes, afterwards rinsed them off in a fresh saltwater bath, and then put them back in the tank.

To sum up, I'm trying a 1:1 saltwater to H202 mix for 3 minutes. I'll post my results as they develop. Based on all the reading I've done (googled peroxide sun coral), I have high hopes.

Thanks,
Joe

immortl
02/09/2015, 08:14 AM
So far, so good.

Sun corals looked a bit weird at first, almost as if they melted away, but after about an hour, they looked normal and once the lights went out, they came out at their normal time.

One of the rocks had some yellow polyps on them and they opened up normally shortly after being placed back in the tank.

The candy cane coral polyps deflated when first put back in the tank, but then went right back to normal within an hour.

This morning, all looks normal.

RA
02/09/2015, 08:36 AM
It will kill the algae but it will probably come right back. You have phosphates which are bound up in the rock causing the algae. You need to fix the phosphate problem.

Pife
02/09/2015, 10:38 AM
⬆ I agree.

immortl
02/10/2015, 11:54 AM
My tank has been up and running for a bit over 3 years now. My purpose was to remove some algae from areas where I didn't want it. I travel a lot for work and am often gone for a month or more at a time. Over the past 4 months, some algae spread to areas where I didn't want it. My goal is not an algae free tank, as I rather like the full natural idea and have some macro algae in there by design (no sump, no refugium). I'd rather the macro out competed the hair algae though.

That said, the algae is receding from the rocks/live stock that I dipped, and they are are all doing well. So far I'd call the dip a success in that no live stock was harmed and the pieces are now pretty much algae free.

No upcoming travel is scheduled, so I'll have an opportunity to be more timely with my tank maintenance.

Thanks,
Joe

Mishri
02/10/2015, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I really like algae in my DT (Certain types). I also think it looks more natural. I had some cool algae in my old tank, partly from liveaquaria uncured live rock and part from tampa bay live rock my dad gave me, the combination had a ton of different macro algae not commonly seen in aquariums.

fessoclown
03/15/2015, 09:19 AM
Hi There, care to update this thread? I am curious, has the GHA stayed away or come back on the rock that you dipped.
Cheers!

immortl
03/15/2015, 03:00 PM
Hi There, care to update this thread? I am curious, has the GHA stayed away or come back on the rock that you dipped.
Cheers!

Yes and no. The piece of rock I dipped, has remained algae free. No sign of any HA returning. The small sun coral, however, has some HA growing on it again. The sun coral tends to get a concentration of food fed to it every other night or so. I don't imagine that's helping any as some excess settles between the tubes. The snails and hermits are prompt to hit the area but I imagine they're not getting it all.

Overall, much less algae throughout the tank, because I have been around to keep up with my routine maintenance. I'd call the single attempt of H2O2 dipping a partial success. A repeated attempt is being considered out of curiosity.

Thanks,
Joe