PDA

View Full Version : Which salifert test kits to buy

Aquageek450
02/08/2015, 04:43 PM
I would like to invest in a nice set of water test kits. From what I read salifert looks to be the most recommended. What kits are necessary for me to purchase to test the water of my reef tank? Is there a standard group I should start with? Not really sure what I "need" to test got as opposed to what I can test for. Thanks!

zachfishman
02/08/2015, 04:47 PM
For a reef, your minimum tested params should be:

temp
pH
salinity
calcium
magnesium
alkalinity
phosphate
nitrate

I do not recommend Salifert's pH kit.

tkeracer619
02/08/2015, 04:48 PM
I like salifert alk, cal, mag, and nitrates.

Hanna 736ulr phosphorus checker.

A calibrated refractometer

Ph ime isn't really neccesary in a marine tank unless you are doing freshwater dips.

hogfanreefer
02/08/2015, 05:45 PM
I like salifert alk, cal, mag, and nitrates.

Hanna 736ulr phosphorus checker.

A calibrated refractometer

Ph ime isn't really neccesary in a marine tank unless you are doing freshwater dips.

Exactly what I use for testing though I do have a Hanna alkalinity tester and like it pretty well too.

I do monitor pH with my Apex but I don't chase it. Do use it for some safety settings.

fishchef
02/09/2015, 12:56 PM
I like Salifert all around except for PO4. Hanna is the way to go for that. I use a couple cheaper tests, but that's me.

killinit123
02/09/2015, 01:25 PM
I just got hanna phosphate, alk, and calcium.. is the hanna calcium not accurate is that why no one uses it.. having second thoughts now

fishchef
02/09/2015, 02:06 PM
I have never used the Hanna dKH or CA. Been using API for both. Whenever I do check these two levels they're in range. With regular partials they stay stable. Can't see spending the money. I don't check them that much. The PO4 is useful and a least accurate. I do compare with the LFS.

tkeracer619
02/09/2015, 04:00 PM
It is accurate you just need to use a syringe instead of the line on the vial.

It takes some time to get your testing procuere dialed in. Reason I don't use them for that is the saliferts are easy and I can do them in my sleep.

killinit123
02/10/2015, 09:00 AM

It takes some time to get your testing procuere dialed in. Reason I don't use them for that is the saliferts are easy and I can do them in my sleep.

but by putting the reagent in first how do you know how much ro water to fill the vial with? assuming you put exactly the amount of reagent which i believe is .1 ml you would have to put exactly 9.9 ml of ro water?

fishchef
02/10/2015, 11:55 AM
killinit1213, can you run that last post by me again?

killinit123
02/10/2015, 12:30 PM

killinit1213, can you run that last post by me again?

lol sorry for the confusion.. I was replying to tkeracer's post.. he said to use a syringe instead of the line on the vial.. the line on the vial is a measure of 10ml but the directions require me to put in .1ml of the reagent and the fill the rest with ro water to the line on the vial.. so i was just confirming that i would need to fill the vial with 9.9ml of ro water instead of using the 10ml mark on the vial??

I am talking about the hanna calcium checker just to make sure we are on the same page

fishchef
02/10/2015, 02:02 PM
I haven't used the CA one. Just wanted to answer if I could. Whatever works. I have a fresh API CA and at the LFS they use Salifert, got a 480 and the API resulted in a 500+. My NO3 was about the same result as their Sali.

killinit123
02/11/2015, 07:51 AM
I haven't used the CA one. Just wanted to answer if I could. Whatever works. I have a fresh API CA and at the LFS they use Salifert, got a 480 and the API resulted in a 500+. My NO3 was about the same result as their Sali.

well thank you for the concern either way im sure I will figure it out by messing around with it